canine "acne"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canine "acne"

softail is offline Member

Defaultcanine "acne"

My year old spayed female gets bumps and 'zits' on her upper & lower outer lips.
    They seem to come and go. Good 1 week, inflammed the next.
    She gets great nutrition and is kept clean. I've even taken to wiping them
    with Stridex pads ( which she hates) Also seem to be the itchiest in the a.m.
    when we get up.
    Any one have experience in dealing with this?
    ~ Life's a beach for a swamp pig

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: canine "acne"

I don't know if I would use the Stridex pads. I wouldn't want my dog licking that stuff. Don't worry about it they outgrow it.
    Olie

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

You need a shampoo that will Flushes hair follicles out like oxy dex shampoo http://www.1800petmeds.com/OxyDex+Shampoo-prod2584.html
    Alicia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

samrandy is offline Member

My dog gets this when I feed her kibble. She normally gets a raw diet, but once in awhile she gets kibble. So maybe its irritating her lips when she is digging into the bowl of kibble. Try wiping her mouth with a wet cloth after eating. Also, keep the water bowl clean.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Could it be this?

ORAL PAPILLOMATOSIS (WARTS IN THE MOUTH)
    Oral papillomas are painless warts that grow on the lips and in the mouths of dogs younger than two years old. They are caused by the canine oral papilloma virus. Initially, papillomas are small and pink. Over 4 to 6 weeks they increase in size and assume a rough, grayish-white cauliflowerlike appearance. As many as 50 to 100 papillomas may be present. Skin papillomas caused by the same virus are common and occur on the surface of the eyelids and the skin of the body.
    Treatment: Oral papillomas usually disappear spontaneously in 6 to 12 weeks. If they fail to do so, they can be removed by surgery, freezing, or electrocautery. Chemotherapy is effective in the case of numerous lesions. The dog's immune system makes antibodies that prevent reinfection.

Giffin & Carlson, "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook", 3rd edition, 2000, Howell, NY, NY. pp 214-215
    (About $25 from Amazon, cheaper for used copies; a 4th edition now updates this 3rd edition.)

Puff had them when she was about 16 months old and they went away without treatment in about 6 weeks. Hers were never "cauliflowerlike" in appearnace; instead they looked like skin tags.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

softail is offline Member

Thanks Bob, but these are definitley pimples with pus in them, just like acne in humans.

I have an Oxy Dex creme that I'm applying but it's tough to keep her from licking it.

I have switched both dogs to stainless bowls for food and water and clean them daily.

I've talked to my vet and he seems to think she'll outgrow it ( he suggested the Stridex wipes)
    I may try the Oxy Dex shampoo.

Anyone think that antibiotics may help? Any neutraceutical that may help? Like an immuno-booster?
    ~ Life's a beach for a swamp pig

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Anyone think that antibiotics may help?
    They can.
    Alicia

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

Harlee took antibiotics for it after it would not clear up. The acne has been gone for a few months now.

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by millstonekennel
    Anyone think that antibiotics may help?
    They can.
    I agree, it can.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I had a lab with those and my neighbor has one now. I'd just wash it up every other day or so with betadine and put a thin layer of triple antibiotic cream on it and they cleared up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast