Puppy's leg shakes

Thread: Puppy's leg shakes

swanny is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy's leg shakes

I have an 11 week old puppy that came from a very reputable breeder. On his last vet visit he received a clean bill of health.

With that said, I have a concern that I've noticed recently. Sometimes I notice his back paw shakes and trembles. It seems like it only
    happens when we have played with him quite vigorously or when we have gone for a good walk. Today, after playing with him for 20 minutes or so outside in the sprinkler, he came in and sat down. I looked down at him and his paw was going nuts! He doesn't seem in pain at all and I know that during the weeks we've had him ( we got him at 8 weeks), he has not suffered any injuries.

What is this? He has his next vet appointment in a week or so but I wanted to post here to see if anyone has a clue what is causing this and if its serious. Both of his parents were clear for hips.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy's leg shakes

I'm NOT a pro but I'm wondering if you are giving that puppy too much exercise (which is causing the leg to tremble).

How long is a "good" walk? At that age it should be quite short (and some say to avoid places where too many dogs have been until your dog has had all it's shots). 20 minutes of vigorous play sounds like a lot for a young puppy (unless he's taking long breaks during that time).

the average "rule of thumb" is 5 minutes of rigorous exercise per month of age.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Maybe over exercise COULD be the problem. I didn't really do much with my 11 week olds other than let them romp on their own in the yard.

Call your breeder and ask them!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Maybe over exercise COULD be the problem. I didn't really do much with my 11 week olds other than let them romp on their own in the yard.

Call your breeder and ask them!
    I agree!!!

sarah is offline Senior Member

i'd back off on the exercise a bit for a while and see if you notice improvement. if none, take him to your vet
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia