Problems with our lab's pads

Thread: Problems with our lab's pads

RebeccaLuna is offline Junior Member

DefaultProblems with our lab's pads

Every time Chloe confronts an afternoon with kids, her pads bother her and she ends up limping. Other than confining her when the kids come over, is this something that will pass as she gets older? She always seems to recover in a day or two. She is two years old. Thanks, Becky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Problems with our lab's pads

How do you know that it is her pads and not her joints? Is this just front feet?
    Sharon

RebeccaLuna is offline Junior Member

Chloe's pad was actually peeling off during one of her episodes......we have a house in the mountains and she runs all over the mountains for the whole weekend with no problems....seems to have this problem when she is with the kids around the pool. We have flagstone around the pool and deck ...do you think the stone could be cutting into her pads? Just her front feet. She also puts her ball in the pool and hangs on to the edge of the stone trying to retrieve her ball. In reading through this site, I can see that Chloe is definitely a weekend warrior...no exercise, at all, during the week and only when we go to the mountains...maybe twice a month, if that. Maybe I need to get her out every day for a walk....would do us both some good.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

The WHOLE PAD was peeling off? Yikes and YUK! Not just the skin peeling? I was thinking maybe she has a skin reaction to the chlorine in the pool - - -maybe" I would think that if your flagstone was that rough that your family would be having feet problems as well.

Sharon

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Definitely sounds like weekend warrior syndrome. If you are going to do occasional long bouts of exercise, to avoid this type of injury again, you MUST exercise her appropriately every day. A torn pad is quite tame by comparison to what could happen in this situation -- torn ligaments, etc. The best way to toughen up the pads and muscles is through road walking. Combine that with a variety of other exercises when you can (off leash running, swimming, etc.) and I bet you won't have problems again. Exercising twice a month won't maintain any type of fitness in a dog, so some type of daily activity that gets the heart going is essential.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Buy some Musher's Secret and apply to all of her pads daily. It protects through summer and winter.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"