Very Scary Walk - EIC?

Thread: Very Scary Walk - EIC?

oneeyedmutt is offline Member

DefaultVery Scary Walk - EIC?

I see there's been a lot of discussion about EIC, which I've just recently learned of. Does this sound like it to you guys?

Polly and I walk a mile and a half every morning, essentially without fail, and we've never had any problems. The other day, we were halfway through the walk, when she started to heave, like she was ready to vomit. I stopped and guided her off the sidewalk, where she promptly vomited (not much), and then (the scary part), her legs seemed to collapse under her. She looked terrified, and I thought I would have to carry her home. We waited a minute, she got back up, and we walked very slowly back home. She ate her breakfast like normal, and has seemed completely fine since. It was hot and muggy outside, but it's been hotter while she was running and playing without any adverse affects. Should I be worried, or is this a one time freak?

(Sorry for the novel)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Very Scary Walk - EIC?

Possibly, or she's just under the weather. With the release of the test at a very reasonable price ($65 plus the blood draw), it's something I'd personally do if I saw the same. At the same time I'd probably be tempted to do a regular blood panel also just to see if there is anything else going on, but you know your dog best. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

oneeyedmutt is offline Member

Thanks a lot.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Could be heat stroke.

Laura

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Could be heat stroke.
    I was wondering this as well, Labby.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Could be heat stroke.
    That was my first reaction.
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I doubt that it was EIC because you didn't mention a lot of running before the collapse.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    I doubt that it was EIC because you didn't mention a lot of running before the collapse.
    Running isn't necessary. Dogs that run field trials have been fine in training, but have had episodes just being excited by kids according to another forum I'm on.

Unfortunately, I found some good info on heat stroke/heat exhaustion by googling last night after one of my dogs (who btw is EIC clear by the research test, though I was beginning to question that for awhile!) had a VERY scary episode as well! It was ~90F and very humid, ~4pm, and my neighbor's nasty 5 dogs were being walked by offlead as normal and started a violent fence fight. One of her dogs had bit me a year ago, another bit the local trainer far worse.. and all have attacked or tried to attack my dogs in the past, leading me to live behind the closed gate these days.

Anyhow, my girl came wobbling, like a drunken sailor to me. :vomit: I laid her down and began hosing her off as soon as I realized how hot she was. She was in rough shape, so much so, I thought she'd hit her head or somehow gotten hurt badly. Her gums were grey and very dry, her eyes were initially dialated, and temp was 103.5F AFTER I hosed her down for 5+ min w/ deep well water in the shade. She rode to the vet clinic in my front seat, (having muscle tremors by now) in front of the A/C vent wide open, which ended up being the right move, lucky for me. Within 1.5-2 hrs afterward, she was perfectly fine. She sure wasn't earlier though as she could wag her tail, roll onto her back, but not walk at all. My vet questioned seizures or chemical exposure at first, but since she was so responsive, I can't believe that... though I will certainly be watchful just to be sure.

What I learned thru all this is that heat exhaustion can lead to heat stroke quickly. High body temp will be present, as is a "drunken" gait or generalized weakness which can lead to tremors (and even seizures if allowed long enough). Vomitting can occur. Usually gums will be bright red at first (another forum says to watch for a big tongue too), but if allowed to progress to heat stroke, the gums will be grey/white and dry like my girl's were.

EIC tends to clear w/in 15-20 minutes by comparison. Heat stroke can take awhile but it's key you get the body temp down to ~103 (they may be as high as 107-109F) w/ water quickly, then let the body bring itself down from there.

This is a very good article. http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...illnesses.html

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nellies mom
    Could be heat stroke.
    That was my first reaction.
    Mine too.