Help my dog! Sore on walks..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help my dog! Sore on walks..

Bear49 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp my dog! Sore on walks..

We have a Choc lab 5 months old, pure bred from a reputable breeder, named Bear

Our puppy was normal until about 3 months and we began noticing the funny bunny hop, having had labradors with HD before I assumed I had another case on my hands. We have not had X-Rays done yet on the Hips as the vet recomennded waiting until 6 months when he will be neutered.

When Bear was about 4 months old we began to notice his front legs acting funny as well. He would walk sometimes as if his feet hurt or he was walking on hot coals. It doesn't seem like he is in pain more like his front legs become weak and he collapses after 10-20 minute walks.

I'll list the symptons below and just hoping to get some opinions and advice.

1) Rear Legs - Walks with bunny hop, legs close together, knees turn inward on steps.
    2) Never has been able to run at a regular puppies speed or stamina.
    3) Has trouble with stairs.
    4) Can not hop onto or off things. (Always slides and flops to the ground)
    5) Seems to drag feet (claws) at time almost as if too tired to walk.
    6) Weak front legs, shaky and seem to collapse on him at times. (especially after 10min walks)
    7) Not very well balanced, and is easy to push over.

Bear eats well and seems very happy even when he needs to lay down when his legs get bad he always wags his tail and is never sore to the touch.
    He is growing very fast and has very long legs for a Lab his age. Bear has never run around like a puppy his age should, we are concerned and any help, information or advice would greatly be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help my dog! Sore on walks..

I have no clue, but have you contacted the breeder and informed them of the problems Bear is having? That is something they should know about, and possibly they may have some insight.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

I have contacted the Breeder. Both parents have been tested for HD, they also told me there have been no problems with any of the other puppies as far as they know.
    They are a reputable breeder. We are going for blood tests tomorrow night and will be getting xrays on the front legs.

I'm going to try to upload a video to youtube of him walking. Today we went for a short walk and he completely collapsed onto his front legs, I'm so concerned and feel for the poor guy, at least at this point it doesn't seem like he is in too much pain if any? It just seems like his legs get exhausted, like doing a push up beyond your limit.. His legs get shaky and then thats it he flops down ussually with them tucked under him and within 5-10minutes he seems to always get back up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I'm going to throw something out here that I hope is not the case, but what is his basic muscle tone like? I'm thinking you may want to test him for CNM... look under clinical information as there is also a video there. I also posted one on this forum awhile back to help raise awareness about the genetic test they have now. http://www.labradorcnm.com/pages/site/0-frame_site.html

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

It sounds neurologic to me.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

Thanks for the links and info!
    After watching that video, I have a really bad feeling Bear might have CNM. Although he is no where as severe as the puppy in the video he does show similar traits. He flops or rolls himself to the ground and he does slightly walk with his head down. I hope its not CNM and if so I hope its a very mild case.
    I'm going to talk to the Breeder again today and find out if any of the other puppies from his litter have had problems.

Thanks again for the links and info..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear49
    I have contacted the Breeder. Both parents have been tested for HD, they also told me there have been no problems with any of the other puppies as far as they know.
    They are a reputable breeder. We are going for blood tests tomorrow night and will be getting xrays on the front legs.

I'm going to try to upload a video to youtube of him walking. Today we went for a short walk and he completely collapsed onto his front legs, I'm so concerned and feel for the poor guy, at least at this point it doesn't seem like he is in too much pain if any? It just seems like his legs get exhausted, like doing a push up beyond your limit.. His legs get shaky and then thats it he flops down ussually with them tucked under him and within 5-10minutes he seems to always get back up.

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

How about taking him to your vet for a thorough examination?

No offense, but I would do that before I would assume things based on people's opinions on a message board.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nwlabs

No offense, but I would do that before I would assume things based on people's opinions on a message board.
    A vet check isn't a bad idea (obviously), but for $65 plus $2 shipping to France, the test is a logical tool to use to hopefully rule out CNM since the symptoms seem to match. The OP also mentioned that the vet was in no hurry to do xrays so apparently this has been an ongoing concern.

There are many vets who still have no idea what CNM is and after a friends male came up a carrier (blew them away!), my position is to rule out the things we can cheaply and accurately test for first. $65 is a drop in the bucket compared to most other tests.

As an aside, I took in the EIC form to my vet (a former lab breeder) so they knew it was available the other day. She didn't know what EIC was until I discussed my research results with her last fall! Ends up she's got a dog she runs from a very heavily used sire who is a Carrier by default.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    A vet check isn't a bad idea (obviously)
    Glad you think so.

I think it is preferred to see a professional myself and really who is to say that it is not something all together?

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nwlabs

Hmmm...I guess I just thought the OP was asking for the opinions of people on a message board. I also kind of assumed that since all the things people suggested sort of necessitate a vet check, that a vet check was the next logical step and didn't need to be said.....

But, you are right. The dog needs to go to the vet, regardless of what else happens.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast