NOISY NEWBORNS:(
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NOISY NEWBORNS:(

Gundoggal is offline Junior Member

DefaultNOISY NEWBORNS:(

Our lab bitch gave birth about 6 days ago, the pups are putting on weight.. non have clef palate, all we and poo.. but they are screeching and screeching on and off all the time!!!!

Temperature of house is fine.. 75 - 80 decrees C

We dont think the dam is producing enough milk, only the back ones fill, the rest are flat against her body almost.. we are feeding her loads to try and get her to produce milk.. not working

its wierd because they are getting really big so they must be getting some milk.

should they make this much noise?
    help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: NOISY NEWBORNS:(

I am not a lab breeder but have had lots of litters of all kinds of things in my house

in my experience if they are awake and noisy then settle in to eat they are probably ok however if you aren't seeng them all latched on (and 6 is not a huge litter by most species standards - there should be plenty to go round) and they don't stop mewling when they are latched on you may have a problem

when you say they seem to be growing how are you judging that? weighing them or just eyeballing it?

hoping everything is ok - how old is the mom? has she had puppies before? I am sort of presuming you haven't so doubt she has either...
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Gundoggal is offline Junior Member

We are weighing them properly, when they were born they were on the top end of average weights..
    mum is 3.. and when she was 4 weeks into preg she had a huge tumor removed from her splene (her splene was taken too) so she was under alot of stress, but has recovered and it was reported to be benine.
    and no she hasn't before

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I've never had a litter but is 75-80 just a bit much?
    Kim

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

They are HOT. I bet if it was more like 70 degrees, they would quiet down.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Okay, I do breed. And NO, the temperature is not too hot at that. The babies' body temps need to be kept at or slightly over 100F or they can quickly succomb to herpes virus... and DIE, hence a box temp of 85F or so the first week, 80F is usually good by the 2nd week, and 75F by the 3rd week. Puppies cannot regulate their own temps until that 3rd week (it's amazing how many idiots have called me wondering why their puppies aren't "vigorous" and are dying that were whelped under the back porch). That said, you don't need a heat lamp if room temps are that high or you'll drive mom batty!

They are likely hungry. Puppies that age don't generally make alot of noise yet. They nurse, they squeak, and then fall asleep.

Did you do a clean out shot (oxytoxin)? That should have helped let down the milk. Fenugreek seed is also a good lactation inducer. You can get it at a health food store... I forget the actual doseage but I think it's ~1/2 teas or so for a bigger dog.

You need to consult w/ your vet if they continue. Mom may have toxic milk too. Have you felt her mammary glands to make sure they aren't hard and hot? Have you diligently taken her temp? How much food are you feeding? They need alot to produce milk. She also needs alot of calcium now (cottage cheese and yogurt work well). There are some very good whelping and puppy rearing sites online. Here's a good start: http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/breeding.htm#

I'd highly recommend you get a couple books too-- Google Amazon and Canine whelping and rearing of puppies. Every litter is different, and I can tell you I breezed thru my first 3 litters but after that, it seems like I've run into this or that (mastitis, etc). Thankfully I have a great vet who used to breed labs and a decent ER nearby. It's not for everyone. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I kept my puppy area at about 70 degrees too. I found they often got too hot.

Are you supplementing mom with extra food, good stuff like yogurt, cottage cheese, fresh meats? I also added tums to her 3 meals a day.

labby is offline Senior Member

My babies would scream bloody murder if I kept them above 70°. I rarely if ever use a heat lamp even during the winter months.

I would guess these puppies also too warm and would maybe fill some plastic water bottles (pop bottles) with cool water and wrap the bottles in towels and put them in with the pups and see if that helps.

Laura

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I hear that putting a ceramic tile or 2 in the whelping box helps, too...provides a cool surface for them to migrate to if they are feeling too warm. Just make sure that there aren't any sharp edges. I thought that concept was pure genius. LOL

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

labby is offline Senior Member

That's a great idea Julie and I'll prolly end up using it next time. Any excuse to to go Lowe's or Home Depot.

Laura

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast