blood work question

Thread: blood work question

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Defaultblood work question

What do you guys think of this blood work in my 13 yrs old male? I have not talked to my vet yet, I will Monday. I don't like the high ALT

AST (SGOT) 20.0 U/L
    ALT (SGPT) 108.0 U/L HIGH Normal is 10.0 - 88.0
    BILIRUBIN, TOTAL 0.58 mg/dL
    BUN 20.1 mg/dL
    CREATININE 1.10 mg/dL
    CHOLESTEROL 293.0 mg/dL HIGH Normal is 125.0 - 250.0
    ALK PHOS 31.0 U/L
    GLUCOSE 109.0 mg/dL
    PO4 3.6 mg/dL
    Ca 10.5 mg/dL
    PROTEIN, TOTAL 6.9 g/dL
    ALBUMIN 3.0 g/dL
    GLOBULIN 3.9 g/dL
    LDH 119.0
    Na 140.0 mmol/L LOW Normal are141.0 - 155.0 (I'm not worried about)
    K 4.3 mmol/L
    CL 114.0 mmol/L
    CO2 26.0
    ANION GAP 4.3

WBC 7.08
    RBC 6.190
    HGB 15.3 gm/dL
    HCT 45.4 %
    MCV 73.3 fL
    MCH 24.7 pg HIGH 19.5 - 24.5 (I'm not worried about)
    MCHC 33.7 gm/dL
    NEU # 4.7
    LYM # 1.7
    MONO # 0.5
    EOS # 0.1
    BASO # 0.0
    NEU % 66.1 %
    LYM % 4.0 %
    MONO % 7.6 %
    EOS % 2.0 %
    BASO % 0.4 %
    Alicia

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: blood work question

Sorry, I started to reply to this last night and my darned AVG wanted to shut my 'puter down!

First, good for you to do the bloodwork. I learned the hard way to do it as a regular thing esp once dogs hit senior status. The ALT is a marker for liver function. Yours is a little high, but not terrible. Based on my personal dogs' results, and a note written on one sheet for one dog, my vet said they really used 120 as the upper limit before they got too nervous if all else was okay.

Sad story: My dog in that case "crashed" one morning, very low body temp, and ALT was ~440. I put her on milk thistle supplement (can buy it at a Walmart in the supplement section) and it corrected to 220 or so within 5 days (she acted back to normal by then), so it's pretty good stuff. Unfortunately, I had a couple more incidents w/her the next few months and one day within hours, she crashed again and was DOA at emergency--- I am quite sure it was poisoning as the irrigation district came out w/ a strong caution to keep dogs clear of their laterals as they were treating w/ a highly toxic algeacide. They had already wiped out my neighboring orchard's fish in his pond when runoff got into it. Mollies symptoms were consistent with hemangio of the liver which the MSDS of this chemical was recorded as inducing.

Get the milk thistle, and watch him closely. Chances are your vet will want to retest him in a couple weeks. Good luck. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

What Anne said.

Plus:

AST, bilirubin, and Alk Phos can also give you an idea of liver function. Since those three are all normal, your vet will probably want to wait and see, and retest.

ALT can also be raised if there has been serious muscle injury, or if your dog is taking any glucocorticoids (Pred, hydrocortisone, dexamethasone, etc).

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Thank you. I do blood work every year on my guys starting at 7. He has never been on any med at all for anything and one ear infection years ago. And still does not need pain meds. The only thing he is on is glycoflex III. So we are going to take the wait and see program since he is doing so good. I will look into the milk thistle.
    Alicia

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Good luck, and try not to stress too much. I have a full, but older sister of Mollie's here who is 13 now and it's going to really be tough when her time comes, which I decided is not going to be any time soon!

I also wanted to clarify that my irrigation district came out w/ the warning to keep dogs out of (and drinking) the irrigation water about a month after my Mollie died. Had I known, of course it had been all blocked off. It otherwise is clean mountain melt off... who'd have known and I talked to my ditchrider at the time regularly. The guy now was just asking me about it a couple weeks ago, and concurred it is nasty stuff. My delivery area is now secure, with instructions to the district they phone me prior to treating day (due this week I believe) and list it on their website (which I need to check!). I think more animals than mine were lost. Good luck with your boy, but I think he'll be fine. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014