windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultEIC test coming Monday!

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: EIC test coming Monday!

It's about time. I probably won't bother to test my pet-girl (clear/unaffected on the research phase test) again, but will probably get the "official" clear results on my Monty-man (also clear/unaffected on the research phase test, so I would certainly hope that nothing changes, LOL) so it can be listed on the OFA site.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

No kidding. But the way they talk on RTF, the lab techs are going to be buried for weeks.... I really need the dog that Fuji is supposed to be bred to tested since she came back a carrier in the research test. I'm hoping she gets him in on the front end so I know whether or not it's a viable breeding to continue planning. She came in a month too early this round, so it was delayed til spring, which was actually a relief since this test took forever to get launched.

I'll need to cram the 4 intact youngsters of my own into the rig and take them in for a blood draw too and see if their results match up.

I just hope everyone embraces the test. It's obviously a serious problem to those w/ affecteds.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I've got an appointment Monday for both boys' blood draw.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Fingers crossed for Clear results!!!!

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

I already made our appointment for Blue's OFAs (hips & elbows) and blood draw for CNM for next month. I'll be adding the blood draw for EIC to the list for that day too. Poor Blue's going to feel all poked and prodded, LOL...
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    Fingers crossed for Clear results!!!!
    Clear would be nice. I wouldn't scream if they were carriers.

Laura

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Clear would be nice. I wouldn't scream if they were carriers.
    I wouldn't either, Laura. Carrier status isn't the end of the world. It just leads to improved breeding knowledge, just like with PRA.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Though I remember when the Optigen tests came out, Julie. One of my dogs came back affected and I was told to spay her because NO STUD DOG OWNER would ever let me breed my "blind bitch" to their dogs. There was a hysteria when that test was released and people's dogs were coming back carriers and affected.

"We can only breed clears otherwise you are doing the breed a disservice!"

"You don't love the Lab if you even think about breeding a carrier or one that came back affected."

"You're a horrible breeder!"

I contacted a long time breeder who had 3/4 of her dogs come back affected even though she had done ERG's to determine that none of them had PRA. She told me to hold off spaying my "blind dog".

I did and a year later I got a certificate in the mail from Optigen stating that my affected dog was actually normal/clear. I know people who did spay/neuter based on that test.

Then I remember when the field people were saying any CNM carriers should be de-sexed. "We must only breed clears!" I tell ya it was Deja Vu. I tried to tell them that a carrier wasn't the end of the world and they could still supply good genes if used wisely.

So I do expect fallout from this latest test. I will not make any major decisions based on this test. I've learned.

Laura

There's a big discussion about breeding carriers of EIC and CNM on another forum (more field). I just shake my head. Here are a group that won't test for PRA, and yet that is where I got my PRA gene (field side). Some aren't doing elbows yet and the ones that do have barely started so have no depth...

I haven't decided how fast I need to get mine done. 3 of 4 of my intacts came back Carriers. I did the jump for joy on one pup out of one of the Carriers that she was only a Carrier..... considering her sire's grandpa ends up a Carrier by default (produced Affected), that was great news at the time. We have a real uphill struggle from what I see in my notes. We are talking some big name dogs that were/are carriers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast