gaining weight...what's causing it?

Thread: gaining weight...what's causing it?

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Defaultgaining weight...what's causing it?

Sally has always been right at 62 lbs....consistently (well, ever since she's been an adult). For the last month, I've done 2 things differently.

1. I've started adding canned salmon to her food. I've kept her regular food the same amount, but add about 6 oz. of canned salmon 3 times a week.

2. Started a quite rigorous training program. I call it Booty Camp. We go out every morning and she runs up and down this hill after bumpers and DFTs. She runs up and down the hill probably 20-30 times. It's gotten more and more as she develops stamina. We also do some regular retrieving and fetching with the chuckit. She LOVES this booty camp!

Let me add that the Booty Camp is in addition to every evening when hubby comes home, he takes both Sally and Spud down to the school ball field and gives them a big chuckit session.

Now, here's the question. Since I've started these two food/exercise components, she has started gaining weight. She is up to 64 lbs. now. Could this extra weight be muscle that she's building? I was actually expecting her to drop a couple of lbs....not gain weight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: gaining weight...what's causing it?

how does she look and feel?

it is quite possible that it is muscle not fat

Brody (in my siggy pic) is a called the "arnold of shis" at our vet clinic - he is basically one packed muscle - but it's easy on a dog his size to to feel the difference between flab and fat

if you think it's fat cut back on the normal food a bit on salmon days too
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

How old is she?
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

how does she look and feel?
    She looks and feels great. Very healthy, lots of energy. She loves her Booty Camp sessions.

How old is she?
    She'll be 2 in October.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff was 62-63 lbs. (28.1-28.6 kg) for a l-o-n-g time and then at around age 5 began gaining despite no increase in food given. So I've cut back slightly on the kibble and give her 1/2 cup of green beans with her supper. That's helped.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about a pound or two either way. If like us your feeding/exercise regimes fluctuates, occasional gains and loses in weight is normal. Also, muscle weighs more than fat, so it is very possible that your new exercise regime has caused the weight gain. Regular hill work will without question put extra muscle on a dog over time.

Another reason for weight gain is due to them filling out. My dogs filled out in bone and muscle mass a lot from the age of 2 to 4. If you speak to your breeder they should be able to give you some idea of how long it takes for their lines to mature physically. The age of 2 is prime time for them to start gaining a mature shape.

If you speak to your breeder they should be able to give you some idea of how long it takes for their lines to mature physically.
    Good idea! She's always been great with giving information and help. I don't know why I didn't think about asking her myself.

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake
    If you speak to your breeder they should be able to give you some idea of how long it takes for their lines to mature physically.
    Good idea! She's always been great with giving information and help. I don't know why I didn't think about asking her myself.
    That is a good idea.