blood in stool and interceptor?

Thread: blood in stool and interceptor?

RiverGrove is offline Junior Member

Defaultblood in stool and interceptor?

Hi,

For the past two mornings our 12 week old puppy has had about 2-3 small drops of blood in her stool at the end of eliminating. Loose-ish stool. She had her 2nd interceptor pill on Monday afternoon. Could this be related?

Also, same last two mornings, she has soiled her crate with a huge amount of more solid stool. She has not soiled her crate since about the 3rd day we had her, so that is really unusual. I washed her down and then took her straight outside where she peed and produced this softish stool with the blood drops at the end. Same both today and yesterday.

I have been switching her slowly from the breeders food for the past 2 weeks. We are up to 1/2 and 1/2. Also, on Monday we upped her food intake from 2 cups per day to 3. I think I will cut back the food today (2 1/2 cups) and maybe feed supper a little earlier. Also, she had a regular bm right before bed last night.

She seems hungry and happy otherwise...

She does have an appointment with the vet tomorrow for another vaccination.

Any thoughts? Worms?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: blood in stool and interceptor?

I wouldn't vaccinate if she's having soft poops. That could overload her system. It's pretty doubtful that it's the Interceptor. Why are you switching her food? And why are you upping the amount?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Changing the breeder's original food as it is wheat based. Upping from 2 cups per day as package suggests on both old and new food for 8 week old age and adding as directed for current age ( 3 months=three cups). Wrong?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Looks she is fine! Healthy and gaining weight. We probably upped her food too much too fast...

Dani is offline Senior Member

So what if it was wheat based? Why would you put your pup through a food rollercoaster if it was fine to begin with? Feeding what the package suggests is a receipe for over feeding...hence the diareha. Your dog is going to end up over weight....and you need to be careful about that.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RiverGrove
    Changing the breeder's original food as it is wheat based. Upping from 2 cups per day as package suggests on both old and new food for 8 week old age and adding as directed for current age ( 3 months=three cups). Wrong?
    Not a good idea to use the package directions on dog food to determine serving size. Their goal is to sell more food and most of the time it is WAY too much for the dog.

Don't know what you feed - but my 85# 2 year old male is on a maintenance level of Wellness Core of 3 cups a day. If she was OK on 2 cups - gaining and growing - I would not increase. Labs are ALWAYS hungry in my experience and will happily eat whatever you put in front of them. Hungry does not mean in need of food.

Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    So what if it was wheat based? Why would you put your pup through a food rollercoaster if it was fine to begin with? Feeding what the package suggests is a receipe for over feeding...hence the diareha. Your dog is going to end up over weight....and you need to be careful about that.
    Wow...thanks for the carefully chosen words...

But, BigBrownDog...thanks for the tip about the amounts. I did not know that.

imported_VHLabs is offline Senior Member

Has her stools been tested for coccidia???

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I agree with all the food comments, BUT blood in the stool. Why aren't you at the vet with that dog? I know it can be a lot of things, but Cocadia and Giardia are high on the list. Lots of things that are worse, and a few that will take care of themselves. I would be at the vet.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.