my boy's sick UPDATED

Thread: my boy's sick UPDATED

Defaultmy boy's sick UPDATED

I know I've only introduced myself and not posted any other messages but I've been reading like crazy.
    I woke up this morning and let Chaos outside (14 weeks) for his morning duty. I was stupid and stayed in the house. I could kick myself. Anyway, I went to let him back in and he was so sluggish coming inside. I mean, he's a lab puppy. Normally he bounds inside all excited and happy. He went straight to his crate and wouldn't touch his favorite treat or his water. He loves water!! Now he acts like he is so weak. He just looks at me with those precious eyes. I am taking him to the vet in just a little. I've all ready called her. I just am freaking out and was hoping you guys could send a few good wishes and prayers up for him. I am seriously very worried and very mad at myself for letting him go outside alone. I mean it's a fenced yard and safe, etc. but what if he got into something. There was nothing out of place. He pooped normal. Oh God, just 5 minutes can change your life. I'll never let him out again alone. It's my fault. What a stupid mistake. Please send prayers up for him. Please.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Chaos had a fever when he got to the vet yesterday but she could find nothing wrong with him. However, she did not diagnostic tests. She gave him an antibiotic for 14 days. Said to come back today if still not eating or drinking. Late in the afternoon, he was still not eating or drinking and his lips and gums were getting a little sticky. I was giving him Nutracal (I think that's what it's called). So, off we go to the ER vet. She said it could be 3 things: Parvo, Intestinal obstruction, or panosteoitis. However, since he as of yet has no diarrhea or vomiting, it's less likely that it's parvo or obstruction. She gave him a shot of Metacam. If he starts V/D, we are immediately to return to vet/ER. She said he'd show a possible false negative to a parvo test until the diarrhea starts. I was not aware that even if a pup is vaccinated (he's had 2 sets shots) he can still contract parvo up until about 9 mo age. So today, he is still not eating. He drank a little touch last night. He did get out of his crate on his own this morning and walked around with his fetch stick in his mouth. He followed me everywhere but yesterday he couldn't even do that. So, I am giving him his antibiotic and giving small feedings by syringe. We go back to the vet tomorrow unless something changes between now and then. Thanks for all your thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: my boy's sick

Good thoughts incoming for you and your boy. Keep us updated, okay?

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

georgie is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts. Please let us know how he is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for your puppy. Will check for an update. I am curious as to what it was.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Oh no, prayers for Chaos. I hope it's nothing serious. Maybe he got stung by a bee or bit by a spider? What did the vet say, and how is he now?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

Sure hope to get some good news from you soon. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
    These guys are just like children and it is hard to watch them every minute. Don't beat yourself up too bad. We all do it :embarrass:
    Anyway, Good luck and let us all know.

Tundra Aries Guest

DefaultRe: my boy's sick UPDATED

Sending my good thoughts, please let us know how he is.

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: my boy's sick UPDATED

hoping all is ok - I don't like any of the options you've been given much

and yes sadly some parvo is alarmingly persistent - I have seen it too many times in puppies that had been "properly" vaccinated

keep us posted and thanks for the update
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller