Brittle Nails?

Thread: Brittle Nails?

RukusandDozer is offline Senior Member

DefaultBrittle Nails?

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with brittle nails and what, if anything, you can do about it?

I've noticed when trimming Dozer's nails that they kind of flake and peel easily. They've been like this since we got him (a year and a half ago), but I assumed that they would get better once his diet etc got straightened out (we rescued him from a neglect situation) and healthier nails had a chance to grow out. Our other dog, Rukus, doesn't have this problem...I'm wondering if it's something genetic, or if it's something that we can correct using suppliments or topical cream/ointment??
    http://i217.photobucket.com/albums

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Brittle Nails?

Do the nails have a different odor than your other dog's? (Or different than the usual Lab's feet that smell like Fritos corn chips?)

When dogs have a fungal infection of their toenails the nails become brittle and peel but the fungus usually has a distinctive smell.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

RukusandDozer is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Do the nails have a different odor than your other dog's? (Or different than the usual Lab's feet that smell like Fritos corn chips?)

When dogs have a fungal infection of their toenails the nails become brittle and peel but the fungus usually has a distinctive smell.
    LOL, I thought I was the only one who thought they smelled like Fritos!!

Honestly, Dozer's nails/feet don't really smell like anything...not like fritos, and definately not anything that would make me think that something is wrong.

Thanks for the tip though....I'm going to research that a bit and see if maybe that is what I'm seeing. If so, I guess it's time to make an appointment!
    http://i217.photobucket.com/albums

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

justine is offline Senior Member

Hmm.. I'm not too sure if it's the same in dogs as it is in humans, but maybe it's a vitamin deficiency..?