LP

Thread: LP

emmas ma is offline Junior Member

DefaultLP

Hi,
    I am new at this.

My 14 year Choc Lab, Emma, has just had her 2nd tie back surgery. Vet recommends hand fed meatballs, made from canned food, 3 times day.

I would like to get her back on dry food that has been softened with water.
    Does anyone else have experience with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: LP

Quote Originally Posted by emmas ma

I would like to get her back on dry food that has been softened with water.
    Does anyone else have experience with this?
    while I haven't had direct experience with this I have had plenty of experience with vets

I'd be compliant with instructions for now and ask up front how long the vet wants the canned meatball diet for .. and work with them to get a diet for life that suits you, the dog and the vet ...

if you are complaint and polite vets are usually very willing to work around your needs - they see LOTS of non-compliance that people LIE about so if you re open about your long term goals are generally happy to work with you

hang in there the canned meatballs won't be forever

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry to butt in on this, but I have never heard of tie back surgery :embarrass:
    Do you mind telling me what this is?
    I have so much to learn and this forum is very helpful and sometimes scary, since there are things that happen to our friends that I never knew of :no:
    Anyway, Thanks in advance and best of luck to Emma!
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I don't know what the surgery does but I would be inclined to follow the vets recommendations.

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tinat1
    I'm sorry to butt in on this, but I have never heard of tie back surgery :embarrass:
    Do you mind telling me what this is?
    I have so much to learn and this forum is very helpful and sometimes scary, since there are things that happen to our friends that I never knew of :no:
    Anyway, Thanks in advance and best of luck to Emma!
    I'm assuming that the OP's dog has laryngeal paralysis. Basically, one (or both) side(s) of the larynx are unable to properly open and close, for a variety of reasons. This means that when the dog is inhaling, the opening into the trachea collapses, causing a decrease in the amount of air that they are able to get into their lungs. One of the treatments available for management of the disease is the "tie-back" surgery. What's done is that the vet will go in and manually retract the affected side(s) of the larynx. While this lets the dog breath more easily, it does increase the risk of aspiration of food from the esophagus into the trachea, since the larynx can no longer close when the dog swallows.

To the OP - follow your vet's recommendations. If they're experienced enough to be doing the surgery, then they have experience with the post-op period and know what to expect. Also, you said "2nd tie back surgery." If both sides of her larynx have been retracted, Emma is particulary prone to aspiration.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

:surprise:Thanks for the info. It sounds really complicated.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MSUlady
    To the OP - follow your vet's recommendations. If they're experienced enough to be doing the surgery, then they have experience with the post-op period and know what to expect. Also, you said "2nd tie back surgery." If both sides of her larynx have been retracted, Emma is particulary prone to aspiration.
    I followed the LP lists for a couple years since my first lab had LP (my 13 yo Gala has a touch that doesnt seem to be progressing much thankfully-- have her on cholodin supplements to support neurological/muscle health). I chose not to do the surgery on Winnie due to a number of reasons, but what she likely is referring to above is that often the tieback fails-- sutures break or the flap which begins to harden w/ age, breaks at the sutures and flops back to the closed position. They rarely tie back both sides due to the increased chances of aspiration pneumonia.

LP is neurological in nature but it affects the whole body in some way. The vagus nerve is responsible for function of the laryngeal flaps, right down the line to the anus (think incontinence in the older dog). As a dog ages, this function is going to deteriorate. Dogs lose muscle in their rear, they become incontinent, and they become less steady on their feet. Because I have a multiple split level house where stairs are necessary to go anywhere, it was a real problem with Winnie. Tie back wouldn't have stopped the rest of the degeneration. With daughter Gala, I became proactive as soon as I heard the pitch of her bark change, spoke w/ a holistic vet who recommended the cholodin and other anti-oxidant supplements. So far, so good. I'll put Gala's daughter on the cholodin in a year or 2-- she's 9.5 now.

Bottom line, follow the vet's advice. It's a long rehab process, unfortunately.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014