Anyone have first hand info on ear polyps?

Thread: Anyone have first hand info on ear polyps?

Joe Maringo is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone have first hand info on ear polyps?

Recieved this email from another local rescue today. I don't have any experience but told her I would check around.

Hi Joe,

Pet Friends has a black Lab about 1-2 years old, very little or no training,
    but a nice big goofy pup, that we pulled from Hoffman's. It turns out that
    he has large polyps in his ears, which would lead to recurring infections if
    not treated. The treatment is total ablation of the ear canals, which will
    leave the dog deaf.

This would not be a big deal in, say, a toy poodle that is a lap dog. But
    I'm afraid that especially with a retriever who has not been trained with
    hand signals, and who is clearly an outdoor dog, it could be a major
    problem. Dr. B is scheduled to do the surgery on the 28th, but I am
    still mulling over what is the best course of action for the dog. Should we
    put off the surgery until we have worked with the dog some more on training,
    or until he is adopted and settled in? Should we look for a less radical
    means of removing the polyps, risking that they will recur? (A
    dermatologist at PVS told Dr. B that the only treatment is the total
    ear canal removal.)

If you have any experience with ear polyps in Labs, or any general advice on
    this matter, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Ruth
    Pet Friends
    Southwest Pennsylvania Retriever Rescue Organization or S.P.A.R.R.O. and Shades Of Grey Senior Sanctuary
    A 501c3 Non Profit Organization.
    Plum, Pa.
    412-795-0163
    website www.sparro.org/

Saving one dog will not change the world But, surely, for that one dog the world will change forever!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anyone have first hand info on ear polyps?

This is very common in cats and some you can just pluck out other need more sugary. If the dogs other ear is fine than he can hear no need for hand signals. This dogs seems very young for this. I think it's more common is older animals and cats. I would get a 2nd opinion before they do anything.
    Alicia

Joe Maringo is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I think the polyps are in both ears, so they are removing both canals. Just seems a bit radical to me and on a totally untrained dog. My thought would be to work with the ear infections for a while until he has some basic obedience and some understanding of what is expected from him, then if he really needs the surgery go for it.

Anyone else have any info?
    Southwest Pennsylvania Retriever Rescue Organization or S.P.A.R.R.O. and Shades Of Grey Senior Sanctuary
    A 501c3 Non Profit Organization.
    Plum, Pa.
    412-795-0163
    website www.sparro.org/

Saving one dog will not change the world But, surely, for that one dog the world will change forever!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

been dealing with a cat since december we are trying to not do an ablation on

it is looking like an ablation is likely at this point - sadly party due to expense - the cat has had a staph infection all this time and we can't get it entirely under control - scoping his ear is thousands of dollars as it's a very specialized piece of equipment - one of the vets we work with often is willing to do an ablation

Phumphrey is older dude who isn't hearing all that well at the moment anyhow

I'd say if there is a way to control pain and infection there would be nothing wrong with holding off surgery for a month

on the other hand I have also worked with few dogs that have been fairly suddenly deaf and they haven't had too hard a time adapting (people have issues with these changes not animals so much)

however the people have to be ok with what's happening - hence my thinking around delaying a little
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller