Playing too soon after eating?

Thread: Playing too soon after eating?

Brodys Mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultPlaying too soon after eating?

My 6 month old yellow, Brody has progessing fine in the areas of training and recall. However, my 13 y/0 step-son is visiting and seems to be running the dog way too much. Last night, shortly (5 min) after Brody's dinner, my step-son took him outside to play frisbee and the pup came back exhausted, panting and did'nt seem to recover until this morning.
    Can this hurt our dog? Brody is my first Lab...
    Brodys Mom<br />Central Florida

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Playing too soon after eating?

If it is hot where you are, you should avoid all forms of vigorous play during the day. With their inability to sweat through the skin, dogs don't cope with heat as well as we do. Heatstroke is a major concern, so you should learn to read the signs:

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/informat...troke/text.htm

If Brody was panting all evening that is a sure sign that he over did it during the day.

You are right about eating and exercise. You should wait at least an hour between eating and exercise, or if possible, feed AFTER exercising. If you feed and then exercise within very close proximity of another, you run the risk of anything from less serious ailements such as stomach cramps to life-threatening conditions such as bloat.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/bloat.html

Brodys Mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Playing too soon after eating?

Thanks for the advise! We DO live in Central Florida, where it is steamy. With strict instructions for my step-son, Brody took the day off yeaterday and seems to have recovered nicely. I also downloaded an article about stomach bloating and "twisting" and showed it to everyone in our house.
    With such a playful pup, it must be easy to forget that he requires rest and fluids, just like us. I have had Scotties up till now, but I am officially sold out on Labs :-*
    Brodys Mom<br />Central Florida