Skin

Thread: Skin

ReeseMom is offline Junior Member

DefaultSkin

Reese is almost 4 now and has been suffering all his life from what I call "the itch". He has red bumps on his belly, constantly licks and scratches all over his body. When he was a puppy he was on Purina Pro Plan but with all of these problems I put him on GO!, when that didn't change anything the vet put him on Hill's Prescription Diet. Still no change. I don't know what to do! I just want him to feel better! Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Skin

Sammi has trouble in the spring, redness a few bumps and some itching! What helps her is a benadryl a day and if she gets real itchy I rub cortisone cream on her! Helps a lot with the itching, I only use it once and awhile and for her its only needed in the spring, she is fine right now. For an on going issue I would get help from my vet!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Skin

Below is a copy of a post I've made several times:

My yellow Puff used to get red zits over her belly and I didn't realize that they morphed into brownish splotches on her pink skin because at first I mistook the brown for smears of dirt rather than scabs. (Many were close to where her privates would be if she had any)

We "vet doctor" at K-State's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl. Our excellent vet there, a diplomate (highest level) in internal medicine, prescribed antibiotics the first time and also the next 2X recurrences shortly after. Each time, she'd taken skin scrapings, had them lab tested, and positively identified it as a staph infection.

On Puff's 4th time in about 5 months, I asked to see the dermatologist. She also concurred it was staph, but got a detailed description of Puff's typical day, and from that decided it was most probably caused by Puff's running in the nature preserve early each morning, getting dew on her belly, and the dew picking up pollen, dust, etc., which caused the irritation and staph. Lingering wetness or pollen alone could cause it but wetness with the pollen is even more certain

The dermatologist Rx'ed a 4th round of antibiotics and after that had me use a medicated shampoo (benzoyl peroxide) daily on Puff's belly, then 3x/week as may be needed.

That really helped and we've had no problem the last 4 years. Also, I began taking Puff swimming after her early morning walks (which flushes off pollen and detritus) and thoroughly drying her (which also helps and which she likes better than the swimming -- she considers me to be her "Sweetish Masseur" )

Don't know if it's the same but could be ??

BTW, bezoyl peroxide shampoo for pets is also available from Amazon.

Puff recently had a return of the brown splotches so we're back to daily Benzoyl Peroxide belly shampoos.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748