And What Age Should A Puppy Be Spayed or Neutered
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And What Age Should A Puppy Be Spayed or Neutered

SawyerAndMe990 is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnd What Age Should A Puppy Be Spayed or Neutered

I want to say first off im going to wait until Sawyer is about 6 months before I get him neutered. I just personally feel comfortable that way.

Now I know alot of shelters spay and neuter puppies at as young as 8 weeks. And alot of vets have been doing the same for breeders and really anyone who wants to have their dog "fixed" early on. I see the positive side of it I really do. But I am a worry wart when it comes to my pets and I would just rather wait.

I just wanted to know everyone personal preference when it comes to the age you would like your puppy spayed or neutered? I am not looking to start a heated thread. Im just curious ,
    Sawyer And Morrison

Lab
    Lab/Basset Hound (maybe some Beagle)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: And What Age Should A Puppy Be Spayed or Neutered

Personally, I will be waiting until Milly's growth plates have closed over before I get her spayed. I have read alot of information on here and other internet sites for the pro's and con's of spaying/neuturing at 6 months and this is my personal choice. I do realise that this means she will have 1 heat cycle and this is enough for her to eventually get mammory cancer but I feel it's a good risk to take considering alot of bone and growth issues that potentially can be linked to an early spay.

cheers
    Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Dani is offline Senior Member

You should get your dog neutered when you feel comfortable. There will be a lot of people on here that will tell you to wait but the data points both ways of the health benefits either way. 6 months would be the youngest that I'd recommend.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I got my boys done at 12 months of age. I would have liked to have waited until they were 18 months, but 'male' behaviours were becoming a problem.

labby is offline Senior Member

Well guess I'm one of those who says to wait. It is in my contract now that my puppy people must wait until the dog reaches the age of 14-18 months. There are studies which state you are doing your dog a disservice if you neuter before the growth plates are formed.

http://www.littleriverlabs.com/neuter.htm

Laura

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I got my boys done at 12 months of age. I would have liked to have waited until they were 18 months, but 'male' behaviours were becoming a problem.
    Another reason Alfie was done at 13 months for the marking, concerntration issues and a bit of agression

kaytris is offline Senior Member

This is the most complete survey I've seen of all the available studies to date:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf

I waited till Tristan was 13 months, and I have to say I won't wait that long again, if I have another boy. He did fill out well and is very handsome, but he still ended up with elbow dysplasia (actually started limping at 9 months)

Living with an intact male is not a whole lot of fun.

SawyerAndMe990 is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the info and links. I am going to do some more research. Like I said in my intro Sawyer is my first purebred lab so I really didn't know about all this. Most likely at the youngest I will have him spayed at 6 or 7 months. So after the New Year unless I change my mind.

Oh and I know all about it not being fun with an intact male. My mother has an intact male Cocker Spaniel who is going to be three in November and has FINALLY been scheduled so be neutered August 28th. But my god has it been trying living with him at times.
    Sawyer And Morrison

Lab
    Lab/Basset Hound (maybe some Beagle)

labby is offline Senior Member

I have 2 intact males and have had bitches in season here. I've not had a problem besides the obvious (wanting to have the girl). My boys play together and neither have ever lifted their legs in the house. They are not aggressive towards each other at all.

Laura

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Tristan was never aggressive either. But his attention span was nil, he was more interested in other dogs (male or female) than working with me, he was a humping maniac, and he was continually threatened/attacked by other dogs, to the point that I was worried his temperament might be permanently damaged. (I rely on offleash areas to exercise my dogs, so this is an important consideration for me) He still isn't fond of large black shaggy dogs, which describes one of the dogs that took a violent dislike to him.

I have seen this pattern in many other intact males as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast