Dry food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry food

Scrolls01 Guest

DefaultDry food

I have a question. I feed Lucky the Hills Science Diet adult formula for dogs 1 to 6 years old. He weighs 65 pounds now, and I have been feeding him twice a day, 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night, but had problems getting him to go potty and all that, except for every other day. According to the ba, for 60 pounds, it says 3 to 4 1/4 cups a day. How do I adjust this? My landlord came in tonight and gave him 2 cups, then 2 hours later, I gave him 2 cups, along with the 2 cups he got in the morning, and I took him for a walk, and he pooped like 4 times in the mile that we walked. How do I adjust this and everything, so he's going all the time instead of every other day? Do I feed him 4 cups, or do I feed him 6? Or do I need to switch him to another dry food?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dry food

I think you need to judge the amount to feed by the condition and appearance of your Lab rather than the number of poops/day.

The following is a bit easier for the novice to apply for Labs that are of a field line build (leaner, lankier, leggier, less blocky, with thinner, curved tails) than for bench line Labs (blockier, stockier, with straight club-like tails).

http://www.dogstop.com/healthforum/body.htm

Some dogs, like some people, poop several times a day. Some dogs, like some people, don't poop every day. Some dogs, like some people, metabolize a lot of energy from a given quantity of food -- some metabolize less.

If your Lucky has reached an adult weight and is stable at 65 lbs., neither gaining nor losing weight, on 2 cups AM and 2 cups PM, then fine -- keep it up.

But, FWIW, the food I feed Puff has 393 kcals/cup and I feed her ONE cup in the AM and ONE cup in the PM (with 1/2 cup of cooked green beans) and she weighs a stable 63 lbs.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Scrolls01 Guest

When I got Lucky a week ago from the shelter, I had him weighed the same day, and he weighed 62 pounds, but I also could see his bones and his ribs, but when I fed him 4 cups a day of that Science Diet, he tipped the scales Monday at 65, but he's also 13 months old in the process So right now, I'm trying to keep him up on a schedule and the Science Diet Original Adult has 365 kcal/cup. But I also don't want him to get overweight by feeding him too much. The problem with my landlord, is that she saw that he was starving, so she fed him 2 cups, and then 2 hours later, I fed him 2 cups like I always do, and that's the problem I had with my Border Collie when she was alive, was the same problem, was that people thinking that she needed to eat all the time. Well, the bag says 3 to 4 1/4 cups for 60 pounds, then 80 pounds, 4 3/4 to 5 1/2, but he's not 80 pounds yet, he's between the two weights, so how do I do this?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

The bags always overestimate how much a dog should be getting because if the dog eats a bit more then you finish the bag faster so therefore in turn dog food companies sell more and get more profits.

If you dog isn't pooping everyday then I don't think that's an issue. From your other posts I see that you have not had him very long at all and he's probably still adjusting to his new home which could be contributing to the inconsistency of his bowel movements. If you are feeding him 4 cups a day and that is what the bag says (even if it's a bit under) then he doesn't need anymore. Are you giving him treats as well such as a raw bone or dried liver or a pigs ear? If you give him those then you need to take that into consideration as well as they are adding to your dogs daily intake of calories.

If he LOOKS like he is starving then he's just being an ordinary gluttenous labrador who could eat until the cows come home even if they aren't hungry. Labradors can beg by just looking at you and if your landlord starts feeding him because he "looks" like he's starving then he'll assume the "starving look" everytime he sees her because he knows if he does she'll give him food.... only because he WANTS it not because he's actually hungry.

If I gave my dog food everytime she gave me her "sad look" then she'd be too fat to move
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Does he look good at 65lbs? or does he need more weight on him? if he needs more weight but is having inconsistent stools, I would actually cut back on the amount you are feeding. 4 cups is a lot of food unless the dog is very active and utilizing all of it.

You can put weight on underweight dogs by feeding Satin Balls:

http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

They work very well.

Scrolls01 Guest

I understand that about the Labs eating til the cows come home. Well, the thing was, she fed him 2 cups, and he chowed it down like nobody's business, then when I got home, I did the same thing, and he chowed it down like nobody's business, and I do understand about dogs being overweight and all that, because Sass was like that, and when it came to Alberta, she figured the dog looks hungry, so let's go feed it everything til it's full, and leave it at that, so when I had Sass, it was hard to keep a boundary on what people fed her and eerything, and to break her off the begging habit and all that. Well, with Lucky, I'm not going to make the same mistakes, he is still young enough to learn that he can't eat everything, but I also need to set boundaries for his food, and also tell her that if she feeds him before me, then she needs to let me know, she didn't tell me til after I had him fed, and to her, a dog eating everything under the sun like burgers and fries and everything we eat is normal, when in a way it is not normal, because a lot of that junk isn't good for them, and that was the problem I had with Sass, because the guy who owned her before fed her everything he ate and vice versa. When I had her, if I had a sandwich that has tomatoes on it, I gave her the tomatoes, cuz I don't like them, and I did that with Lucky the other day. Got a sandwich that had tomatoes on it, and he got the tomatoes.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

he is still young enough to learn that he can't eat everything
    Good luck trying to teach a Lab that.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Trickster & Sarahnye gave you good advice (as per their habit).
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Scrolls01 Guest

I think I can, I just have to teach everyone else to do the same I am.

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scrolls01
    I think I can, I just have to teach everyone else to do the same I am.
    I think you'll probably find that it's harder to train the other humans than it is to train the dog. That's often the case.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast