Diarrhea in 6mth old...

Thread: Diarrhea in 6mth old...

roccus08 is offline Junior Member

DefaultDiarrhea in 6mth old...

Hi I am new here but have become very concerned because our 6mth old yellow lab has had diarrhea on and off for almost a month. He will have it one night and then be fine all the next day and the next night ,and then it will start again. I think we should bring him to the vet but my husband thinks he is fine. He is outside most days in the fenced in yard with plenty of water etc when we are gone. I don't know if he is eating something or what? I am going to call the vet soon but don't want to spend a bunch of money...i know that sounds bad but i was looking for some suggestions first...Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Diarrhea in 6mth old...

If your dog has some kind of obstruction this can lead to loose stools and other symptoms.... since this has been happening for a month though is it only the runs that is different (eg: is he lethargic or appear dehydrated as well?) Have you changed foods recently? Has his environment changed in anyway? Is your dog on a regular worming schedule and had all it's shots? Has your dog come into contact with another dog that may have had diarrhea/vomiting recently?

I would have consulted my vet already but I'm a bit of a paranoid doggy mum when it comes to my 6.5month old lab. Have you tried fasting him for 24 hours and then giving him only boiled rice and chicken in small portions to see if it helps the diarrhea? Your vet may want you to take in a stool sample for testing too just in case they want to test for a parasite etc... Your vet may also want to run a blood work to check for any abnormalities too.

IMO - you should consult a professional when a symptom persists and you don't know why, even if it's nothing ... I would prefer to have that peace of mind to know that it wasn't nothing and I would feel terrible not taking my dog to the vet if there was something wrong with him/her, I believe that it's in the same category as not taking a sick child to the doctor.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Trickster is offline Senior Member

It could be a number of things, but persistant diarrhea for roughly a month would be ringing alarm bells with me. Have you been to the vets? the vet can analyse a fecal sample and diagnose the problem for you.

My first thought was giardia:

http://www.gsdhelpline.com/giardia.htm

Giardia is spread through faeces and contaminated food and water. With respect, leaving a 6 month old puppy outside unsupervised while you are gone is not ideal. The risk of dog theft aside, you don't know what he is eating while you are gone and this is likely to be contributing to the problem.

So, my advice is to see a vet as soon as you can.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

baby belle is offline Senior Member

I would get to the vet. Until then you can try adding canned pumpkin a teaspoon to the kibble. Not the pie filling though. Also I have an 8 month old and i can't leave her outside for more than 5 minutes in the yard alone, I am too scared she will get into something she is not supposed to. She was also attacked by fire ants back in March and had to be rushed to the closest vet. So i am now fearful of her outside alone unless i can see her right here on the pool deck. Probably got into something being left outside alot. Can you leave your pup inside the crate while you are not home?? GOod luck

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

It could also be coccidia. Take a fresh stool sample to the vet to be checked for giardia and coccidia.

If your pup has recently been to the vet and does not need an exam you can just drop off the stool sample for starters to save on an office visit.

If they find nothing, than I would have the pup examined.

roccus08 is offline Junior Member

Thank you for the suggestions (and/or criticisms). I spoke with the vet this morning and explained everything to her. They said to feed him boiled chicken and rice for four days and then slowly add his food back in and to call back if things don't improve.

Blinkee23 is offline Senior Member

This happened to my lab about 6 months ago.. she was having diarrhea on and off for a month.. we took her to the vet and he thought maybe she ate something outside like leaves or grass and she just had garbage-itis (his term, not mine) anyway, she was fine at the vet so he just sent us home.. then the next week it happened again.. and it was MUCH worse.. she was vomitting right after she ate, diarrhea and VERY out of it.. So back to the vet we went and he did bloodwork and tested for giardia, among other things.. All came back normal but she still couldn't hold any food down.. We were trying the chicken and rice during all this.. Finally, they took x-rays and saw that she has a "partial" obstruction of her small intestine.. Told us to give her Ensure for the weekend and to call him Monday.. He said since it was a "soft" obstruction it might pass on its own.. Which it THANKFULLY did by Saturday night.. Anyway, I would say to keep an eye him and any sign of it getting worse ask your vet to take x-rays... Just speaking from my experience

Hope he is better soon!!