Questions about your Dogs food? Look here ...

Thread: Questions about your Dogs food? Look here ...

LabLoverNmiami is offline Junior Member

DefaultQuestions about your Dogs food? Look here ...

I recently adopted a rescued lab. Angel was 6 mo old when I drove a 500 mile round trip to pick her up from her rescuer. I fell in love with her picture online and didn't hesitate to say " I'll take her" She came to me flea bitten- with ringworm and tick bites and dry skin. She was on the puny side and very very quiet. She was scared. It didn't take us long to realize that like our previous Lab (also a rescue) Angel had been abused at some point in her life and neglected while at the shelter that was going to end her life had I not taken her.
    Years ago with our previous lab ( because I didn't know any better and the general rule at that time was as long as your feeding a name brand food then it is ok) we fed her Pedigree. Which is what I started Angel on. Until she started itching herself raw -etc etc etc. Then I started researching dog foods and now call anything I can find on a grocery store shelf -garbage. It's loaded with corn and other fillers and meat by products. I chose not to feed my little rescued babe garbage. After much consideration and paying attention to what Angel needs in her diet I chose the Blue Buffalo line of food. I created my own mix of two of their foods. In addition to this I add 1/4 can of canned food and a dollup of plain white yogurt. Angel is now happy and healthy and a real blessing to our family.
    I urge EVERYONE to go onto www.dogfoodanalysis.com and check out your brand of food. The site helped me choose a diet for Angel that fits her. It gives unbiased opinions and rates each food and there are hundreds listed from cheap "not good" foods all the way to the "break the bank" foods. If you're thinking about changing your dogs food or picking out food for your new pup or adoptee PLEASE check this site out. It's worth it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_GoodDog is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Questions about your Dogs food? Look here ...

Yes that is a good site for checking the ingredients of dog food and they do a good job with that. As for the ratings, they are to be taken with a grain of salt IMHO. They tend to rate foods with numerous protein sources higher then single protein source foods without a clear explanation, for example a food with four protein sources rates higher than a single protein source food, say chicken meal without clearly listing the total amount of meat. The four protein source food could be a total of 40% meat content in the food while the single source chicken meal food could have 43% meat content, making the single source food "better" because it has more meat.

Good luck with your dog!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Yes that is a good site for checking the ingredients of dog food and do a good job. As for the ratings, they are to be taken with a grain of salt IMHO
    I agree.

It is handy for checking out ingredients of foods, which is convenient because they are all in one place. However, the food reviews should not be taken as gospel. The website suggests, whether intentionally or not, that anything below 5 or 6 'stars' is not worth feeding. This is not true as different foods work for different dogs. My dogs are on a food that would not even be close to (in their opinion) a '6 star' food, but they are doing fantastically on it. Does this make it a bad food? certainly not in my opinion. I could not be happier with the results.

Also, what are the credentials of the people that made the website? I don't see them listed anywhere.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jcookie0723 is offline Junior Member

The amount of protein in a food isn't the only thing that makes a food good.

everydog is offline Senior Member

Even the ingredient lists aren't always up to date. The following is also well worth reading (taken with a grain of the author's own salt, no doubt!) "Common Fallacies of Dog Food Reivews"

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....g_food_reviews

imported_GoodDog is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by everydog
    Even the ingredient lists aren't always up to date. The following is also well worth reading (taken with a grain of the author's own salt, no doubt!) "Common Fallacies of Dog Food Reivews"

Thanks for posting the link, it was a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by everydog

Thanks that was a very good read. It has a lot of info as to not get misguided. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodDog
    Yes that is a good site for checking the ingredients of dog food and they do a good job with that. As for the ratings, they are to be taken with a grain of salt IMHO. They tend to rate foods with numerous protein sources higher then single protein source foods without a clear explanation, for example a food with four protein sources rates higher than a single protein source food, say chicken meal without clearly listing the total amount of meat. The four protein source food could be a total of 40% meat content in the food while the single source chicken meal food could have 43% meat content, making the single source food "better" because it has more meat.

Good luck with your dog!

Thanks for your well wishes ! Angel really completes our family. We love her and she is spoiled! I didn't mean to mislead anyone in furnishing them with this website. I read the reviews and comments but after a while got bored with the negativity of the comments so I stuck to the ingredient list and knew what I was looking and not looking for in the food so that helped me a lot. Happy Posting to you!

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

The gal at the dogfoodproject has actually taken classes in dog nutrition and does research exclusively on dog nutrition. I think the was working towards a degree. So I would use that site over the dogfoodanalysis one.