What veggies do you feed your pup?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What veggies do you feed your pup?

jcookie0723 is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhat veggies do you feed your pup?

I feed mine kibble (Canidae ALS currently) and I mix in about a tablespoon of yogurt at every meal. (I heard it helps with ear infections which are a big problem in my house!) I would like to mix up the routine and feed other things every once in awhile. I was wondering what kind of veggies/fruit do you feed your dogs, how often, and how do you prepare them (if at all)? TIA!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What veggies do you feed your pup?

My guys get anything that we have laying around that meets a few criteria: 1. Safe for them (no onions/grapes/raisins, etc.) 2. low/no yeast veggies. So no/few carrots, squash, potatoes, etc. Baloo's ears are fantastic with literally no cleaning, but too much yeast and I can kiss that bye bye.

So basically, they get a lot of leftover, getting-too-mushy-for-our-tastes berries, like blueberries/blackberries/strawberries/raspberries, some green veggies like celery, spinach, some broccoli, etc. Sometimes pumpkin for a little added fibre. (but not a lot due to yeast factor). This isn't really on a regular basis though, just when we have the extra laying around... a few times a week maybe..??
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi loves green beans, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, asparagus, strawberries, bananas, blueberries, raspberries, huckleberries and blackberries! Not much she doesn't like, but she isn't a huge fan of oranges

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

If you're having ear infections, I'd wager your food is the problem. Canidae has been known to be a culprit.

I don't add anything to my dog's food. But occaisionally they help me eat strawberries, cantalope, bananas, apples, pears, cherries, honeydew, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cuccumbers, and pineapple.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

labby is offline Senior Member

Canidae gave my dogs horrid ear infections. Along with bald skin, horrible shedding, foot sores, anal gland problems....the list goes on. I wouldn't feed Canidae if it were free. It took my dogs almost a year to recover from that food.

Laura

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff gets about 1/2 cup of green beans with her evening kibble. She eats any fruit I eat plus tomatos, broccoli, etc. (Except raisins, grapes, etc.)
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

jcookie0723 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestions! Actually I just switched my dogs to Canidae about a month ago, and the ear infections seem to be getting better. It was my GSP (German Shorthair Pointer) that was getting them really bad. His old food had corn as one of the main ingredients and I think that may have been contributing...

baby belle is offline Senior Member

my pup gets about 6-7 green beans unsalted added to her kibble for dinner

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No veggies in my dogs diet. The Lab is diabetic and is on a low carb diet and the Shepherd would not touch a vegetable with a ten foot pole.
    Sharon

skippin is offline Member

Wow, how did I miss this topic? Great question and great ideas! I give carrots, celery, apple slices and bananas as "snacks". They love them, and I figure they should be good for them in moderation (like anything).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast