For those who do Titers - Attn: Dani
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who do Titers - Attn: Dani

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultFor those who do Titers - Attn: Dani

A couple of questions please:

For those of you who do titers (Kate, Felicia, etc.) ...does your Vet supply you with some kind of certificate similar to what you would get if you have the actual shots done? (and to use for boarding etc.) I asked about this when I called to see if the results where in yet and the receptionist said she could do me a photocopy of the results. I don't think doing titers is very common here, so wondered what the rest of you get in paperwork when you have them done.

They have the results in for parvo and distemper and both were normal....as in good. I would have expected that as it is only just a year since she was vaccinated. Do the results normally give you a reading or just pass or fail type of thing?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: For those who do Titers - Need Quick Replies Please

The results come in writing from the laboratory where blood was sent for titering.

They tell you if the dog has an immunity or not to Parvo, Distemper, etc. Immunity means covered/normal which is good.

Ask your vet for a copy of lab report. This should be sufficient for boarding provided the facility accepts titers in lieu of yearly vaccinations.

I have all my bloodwork on my dogs faxed to me so I have them for my files.

Thanks Patty. So the paperwork doesn't have the Vet's signature on it? There's not a certificate issued......just the actual report from the facility that does the testing?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

I would get a copy of the titer and have your vet print out his shot records they should put the titer on this paper as a reminder and to say he is up to date of his stuff. If not have your vet wright a letter saying is good to go to the kennel or were every.
    Alicia

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Hey June... this is our first year doing them, so I can't answer your question... we go in in August.

I would probably get a copy of the lab report, and then a letter or your vet's signature on the report. ?

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking I must be one of the first people here to go the titer route. If not for needing proof for boarding I'm not even sure if the titering is necessary, but it gives some peace of mind. I guess I'm still a little unsure about all of this after years of doing annual vaccines, but hopefully it's all good. The kennels should be fine with things either ways as even if we were vaccinating annually we'd only be a couple of weeks overdue at this point.

All I got in the way of paperwork was a copy of the lab results....which might be confusing to someone who doesn't understand titers. For both Parvo and Distemper it lists "Positive @ 1:50 under the "Normal" column. I'm not sure quite how this works, but apparently this is good. Does anyone know how this works? What range is considered strong etc.? So I guess now I assume that things are okay for another year and then titer again?

Dani is offline Senior Member

I got a two page print out that had the blood test results and recommendations from the vet reviewing them from Michigan State.

As I stated before, any antibody titer of 80 or higher on a CPV titer is considered protective
    any detectable CAV titer is considered protective, and a CDV titer of 50 or higher is considered protective.

What were your numbers?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Dani, as I mentioned above... both distemper and parvo titers came back as positive @ 1:50 under the normal column. My Vet told me this was a strong positive which is apparently good, but now I'm confused.

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Who was the titer sent to?
    Alicia

DefaultRe: For those who do Titers - Dani please look here

Quote Originally Posted by millstonekennel
    Who was the titer sent to?
    Sorry for the delay in replying, but I've been away all week. The titer results that have come back were just from a Lab. I don't recall the name at the moment, but doubt it would be somewhere you'd recognize.....not a University or anything. I'm not too thrilled with the way it is reported as it doesn't give any info. really except the actual titer. (for instance what range is considered protective)

I had no problem with the kennel. They never even asked for certificates.....probably because she was only just on a year since her last shots.

Dani - If you see this post I was wondering if you could respond regarding the titer levels. (see below where I mentioned this) My vet said that the titer was good, but it was only 1:50 and you mention that parvo needs to be at 1:80......which I assume is greater than 1:50. It really should have been okay being as she is only just past a year since her actual shots. Also as I mentioned it sounds like you get more info. on your results, but I guess I'll talk to my Vet about that. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast