adding some canned salmon....how much?

Thread: adding some canned salmon....how much?

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Defaultadding some canned salmon....how much?

I'd like to add some canned salmon to my lab's diet. Right now I'm feeding her Nutro, but I'd like to give her some additional salmon.

How much could she get? I was thinking one can divided up 2 or 3 times a week. What do y'all think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: adding some canned salmon....how much?

About once (sometimes twice) a week I add a third of a small can of sockeye salmon to my Lab's meal.....so over three consecutive meals I use a small can. The only ingredient in the can is salmon as I get the "no salt added" type. If your dog hasn't had it before you might want to start by adding a fairly small amount to make sure he/she is okay with it. Mine loves it and I think it helps her coat stay nice.

Where do you find the "no salt added" salmon? I looked at each kind in the grocery store, and the best I could find was "packed in water" which had about 1/2 the salt content.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: adding some canned salmon....how much? Our method.

I buy a side of salmon (filleted, no skin) from Sam's Club or Costco. Then I slice across it making slices equivalent in volume to about roughly half or 2/3rds the usual slice of bacon.

I also have a large roll (3k ft/.914 km) of FoodService Film (like Saran, etc.) that I bought from SC or C several years ago; it's conveniently placed on a shelf directly above the kitchen sink.

Cutting off about a yard/meter of film, I stretch it out on a cutting board covering the sink and begin rolling up slices in the film, making sure that there's always food film surface between each flat slice of salmon. When the bundle gets about the size of an ear of corn (w/o husk), I slice some more from the salmon and roll some more until the salmon is all sliced up. These rolls go in the freezer and they last several months. (Often I cut off a larger piece or two for my meals, too.)

When each supper time comes, I detach a slice from a roll, add a little water to Puff's Dansk (Christianshavn Blue) pasta bowl that serves as her food dish, and nuke the frozen salmon in the water for 60".

Then add a few previously cooked (formerly frozen) whole string beans from the fridge; the cold of the beans modifies the temp of the hot water to warm. Add a scant cup of Kirkland C&R kibble (393 kcals) and supper is almost ready. I put it down on the floor where Puff leaves it for now.

Puff has been lying down watching all this with an expression of grateful anticipation.

I open the jar of Peanut Butter, dab a Kirkland G&C tablet in it, and Puff -- well habituated to the ritual by now is at my side -- and down her hatch the tab goes (followed by one for me, sans PB but maybe a swallow of Chardonnay). Ditto with Kirkland Fish Oil capsules.

As soon as these appetizers are finished, I tell Puff "bon appetit!" and she moves to consume her main evening course.

Works for us.

No worries about salt or sodium.

No worries about fish going bad or smelling other foods.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Wow, Bob! Sounds like you could start your own cooking show!!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Wow, Bob! Sounds like you could start your own cooking show!!
    I went in to such detail because there are a number of essentials to this method that all work together. Among the most important is the Food Service film. Before getting that, I was always fishing in a kitchen drawer for the box of Saran and finding there wasn't enough left to do the whole fillet. I think I've had this one box now for several years and I love having & using it!

Obviously a cutting board large enough to hold a whole salmon side (or one big enough to hold a sufficiently large unfolded part of one) is also needed. Mine is a white HDPE cutting board from Sam's that covers one whole side of a double sink. I routed out a circle near one side (about the diameter of an 8 oz. water glass) through which to drop any discards to the sink and garbage disposer below.

The frozen green beans are bought at Sam's Club -- about $1.10/lb in a 5 lb./2.27 kg bag. I cook about a quarter bag at a time and then store it in a sealed bag in the fridge, taking out a handful as needed. Puff prefers them well done (soft) so that's the way they get cooked. They're good so I sometimes take a serving for my dinner.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I went in to such detail because there are a number of essentials to this method that all work together. Among the most important is the Food Service film. Before getting that, I was always fishing in a kitchen drawer for the box of Saran and finding there wasn't enough left to do the whole fillet. I think I've had this one box now for several years and I love having & using it!
    My in-laws actually gave us a big box of that Food Service film about a year ago. It's like a never-ending box!!

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Wow Bob you rock! I'm hungry after reading your post!

LabLoverNmiami is offline Junior Member

:canadian: WOW Bob ! I think all of our Labs are praying that you open a Lab Bed and breakfast !
    You Rock ! 8)