Interceptor ,Heartguard, Ivomec

Thread: Interceptor ,Heartguard, Ivomec

olducker is offline Senior Member

DefaultInterceptor ,Heartguard, Ivomec

Interceptor ,Heartguard, Ivomec

Quote[ according to my vet are as bad as last year, with nothing new to add to the reasons why the problem exists. Supposedly Auburn is doing the research on the problem, having vets all across the country sending in infected blood samples to study. Seems the microfelia from the infected blood are being killed by the meds in the clinical studies, but for some reason aren't in the dogs. Illinois and Indiana are now seeing additional cases of heartworms. There are no new reccomendations, other than keep on dosing as usual, but many are double dosing now on a personal opinion basis. ] Quote from post on Waterdog One by Steve V

Man I wish I had acted on Steve's post when I read it last fall. We have been using heart guard the past 8 years without a problem. BUT, knowing what I know now, I wish I had uped the dose or switched to another brand.

Our Zeke Man tested positive this am and will have to be treated. The Vet does believe we caught them early and hopefully can be treated without a problem.

Our Vet suggests going to INTERSEPTER after treatment. I am still undecided, possibly going to IVOMEC. What I want to do is the best I can for my labs.

Does anyone have anymore information about IVOMEC? The vets around here don't seem to have much information to give us. Does anyone know if it is given under the skin or intramuscular.

Is this what I need.: IVOMEC (ivermectin) 1% Injection for Cattle and Swine is an injectable parasiticide for cattle and swine
    Thanks
    Tim
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they
    went.
    -Will Rogers......Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Interceptor ,Heartguard, Ivomec

Ivomec is given orally in dogs. NEVER injected. Talk to your vet about the dosage.

Laura

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Was he re tested? The test could be wrong. Did you give it every month year round? I would think merial would pay for his treatment. I use Iverhart.
    Alicia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The vets we use are at Kansas State U's CollVetMed Teaching Hospital. They first used Heartguard but about 5 years ago switched to Interceptor. They also recommend Frontline Plus.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

olducker is offline Senior Member

How do you give the Ivomec, is it a lot of trouble? Do you use a syringe to give orally? Just wondered why vets don't recommend it, but every one that uses it swears by it? Zeke starts his treatments on the 17th

tim
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they
    went.
    -Will Rogers......Tim

labby is offline Senior Member

I give the Ivomec by 1cc syringe. I put the dosage on a small piece of bread and each dog gets it that way. They don't recommend the Ivomec because it costs them money. 5 dogs Heartgard = $350 a year / 5 dogs Ivomec - $35 for like 2 years. I think that explains it all.

I bought a bottle and took it to my vet. I don't do math. LOL. Based on what I bought and the amount of ivermectin in the bottle, he figured out the proper dosage for each of my dogs.

This is why I said to talk to your vet about it before using it, especially if you didn't know not to inject it.

Laura

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We buy generic ivermectin for dogs, which is about $20 for 6 months for one dog. It's not as cheap as the ivomect, but it's easy to dispense for me.