Spacing vaccines
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spacing vaccines

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultSpacing vaccines

For those of you who give separate vaccines (esp in puppies), how do you space them? Let's say you want to do parvo and distemper, do you do your 1st parvo, then the distemper "x" weeks later or do you boost that parvo w/in a 3 wk time frame, get it out of the way, and then start on the distemper, etc.?

If you alternate, what is your interval between shots? I'm in a unique spot right now in that Lepto is serious enough here to warrant vacc'ing against for the first time (and I really should have earlier as I run hunt tests in much higher risk areas). But, I have a bitch due for a booster (combo) before she's bred too, so I could be walking a tightrope timewise to squeeze it in. Can I do the lepto (L4), wait 2 wks, do the combo (Progard 5), then boost the lepto 2 wks later? It just seems like so much! TIA. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Spacing vaccines

I agree, sounds like a lot, especially for an adult dog who I presume has been vaxed before for the same things. What about vaxing for Lepto, and titering for parvo and distemper? Also, just wondering why you would need to boost a Lepto vax 4 weeks after the first one? I thought one shot was enough for the dog to build and maintain immunity for up to a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Tia
    I agree, sounds like a lot, especially for an adult dog who I presume has been vaxed before for the same things. What about vaxing for Lepto, and titering for parvo and distemper? Also, just wondering why you would need to boost a Lepto vax 4 weeks after the first one? I thought one shot was enough for the dog to build and maintain immunity for up to a year?
    Mata has never been vacc'd til last week for Lepto, and the "memory" on lepto (and some other killed vaccines) is not as good as memory produced by the modified live preps. You *do* need to boost to get the full effect for lepto, according to my vet and research sources.

It's been nearly 2.5 yrs since Mata has had a combo vaccine with just her core vaccines (no lepto or corona, etc). Since she's being bred, it's highly recommended to boost them for the sake of the future puppies' immune systems. Two breeder vets have told me that, so I'm not arguing the point (I bred another bitch a year ago to the one vet's stud and so picked her brain then on boosting vaccines, and all worked out great-- 11 puppies!). If no breeding was planned, I'd not be nearly as concerned, but I don't trust titers as they've failed friends.

My current (after consultations today) thought is to give Lepto a 4 wk interval before boosting and follow 3 wks later w/ the Progard 5. I should still be a 3-4 wks ahead of her heat cycle this way... the immune system often dips during their cycle, so that is what I'm trying to avoid. Btw, I've not had problems w/ vaccines w/ her but don't want to invite any either!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Anne, if I have to give Henery vaccines this year, I'll do the single-valent ones at least 4 weeks apart (I'm talking say distemper, then parvo). We're titering, but in case he's low, that's what I'll do.

Tia, if the lepto is an initial vaccine, it has to be boosted 4 weeks after the first one. Afterwards, it's just once a year.

Makes sense about boosting the future puppies' immune systems!!

Anne, went back and read your initial post re: single-valent puppy vaccines and spacing them... not sure how to answer that.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

I'd love to squeeze my bordatella in between the 2 L4's too and will ask my vet on that..... I just don't know how breeders really protect those babies doing the singles! I'm running out of time yet have 2 mos roughly to work with-- an adult!
    My younger dogs are running so many events and around so many dogs I can't afford to slack off. I'd hate for them to get something but would hate even worse for my old girl to come down w/ something at 13.

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    Quote Originally Posted by Tia
    Mata has never been vacc'd til last week for Lepto, and the "memory" on lepto (and some other killed vaccines) is not as good as memory produced by the modified live preps. You *do* need to boost to get the full effect for lepto, according to my vet and research sources.

It's been nearly 2.5 yrs since Mata has had a combo vaccine with just her core vaccines (no lepto or corona, etc). Since she's being bred, it's highly recommended to boost them for the sake of the future puppies' immune systems. Two breeder vets have told me that, so I'm not arguing the point (I bred another bitch a year ago to the one vet's stud and so picked her brain then on boosting vaccines, and all worked out great-- 11 puppies!). If no breeding was planned, I'd not be nearly as concerned, but I don't trust titers as they've failed friends.

My current (after consultations today) thought is to give Lepto a 4 wk interval before boosting and follow 3 wks later w/ the Progard 5. I should still be a 3-4 wks ahead of her heat cycle this way... the immune system often dips during their cycle, so that is what I'm trying to avoid. Btw, I've not had problems w/ vaccines w/ her but don't want to invite any either!
    Hmmm, didn't know you had to boost with the Lepto shot. Learned something new

You can also buy Progard DPv if you didn't want to add in adenovirus/hepatitus and parainfluenza in the 5 combo.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We did the VANGUARD® Plus 5 on our pups. It's also what we boosted Grace with before she was bred. Lepto isn't too big where we are, so I don't do it. I also don't do bordatella either. Even with shows, we've only had it 1x, about 5 years ago, and I am sure it was picked up at the dog park.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If I had a bitch ready to be bred I would not vaccinate her. I would either titer her prior to breeding or wait till pups are weaned to titer and vaccinate then if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    If I had a bitch ready to be bred I would not vaccinate her. I would either titer her prior to breeding or wait till pups are weaned to titer and vaccinate then if necessary.

She's not "ready"--- She isn't due to come into season til Sept at the earliest.

labby is offline Senior Member

I give the combo vaccines (DA²P+CPV) to my dogs. It's very difficult to get just plain old distempter, then the A², etc. I give the Lepto in the spring and I make sure all vaccines are 3-4 weeks apart. Mine never get any vaccine within 3-4 weeks of an illness, surgery or other vaccine.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast