Spacing vaccines
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Spacing vaccines

  1. #1
    windycanyon's Avatar
    windycanyon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    C. WA
    Posts
    2,623

    DefaultSpacing vaccines

    For those of you who give separate vaccines (esp in puppies), how do you space them? Let's say you want to do parvo and distemper, do you do your 1st parvo, then the distemper "x" weeks later or do you boost that parvo w/in a 3 wk time frame, get it out of the way, and then start on the distemper, etc.?

    If you alternate, what is your interval between shots? I'm in a unique spot right now in that Lepto is serious enough here to warrant vacc'ing against for the first time (and I really should have earlier as I run hunt tests in much higher risk areas). But, I have a bitch due for a booster (combo) before she's bred too, so I could be walking a tightrope timewise to squeeze it in. Can I do the lepto (L4), wait 2 wks, do the combo (Progard 5), then boost the lepto 2 wks later? It just seems like so much! TIA. Anne


    WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Tia's Avatar
    Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    247

    DefaultRe: Spacing vaccines

    I agree, sounds like a lot, especially for an adult dog who I presume has been vaxed before for the same things. What about vaxing for Lepto, and titering for parvo and distemper? Also, just wondering why you would need to boost a Lepto vax 4 weeks after the first one? I thought one shot was enough for the dog to build and maintain immunity for up to a year?

  4. #3
    windycanyon's Avatar
    windycanyon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    C. WA
    Posts
    2,623

    DefaultRe: Spacing vaccines

    Quote Originally Posted by Tia
    I agree, sounds like a lot, especially for an adult dog who I presume has been vaxed before for the same things. What about vaxing for Lepto, and titering for parvo and distemper? Also, just wondering why you would need to boost a Lepto vax 4 weeks after the first one? I thought one shot was enough for the dog to build and maintain immunity for up to a year?
    Mata has never been vacc'd til last week for Lepto, and the "memory" on lepto (and some other killed vaccines) is not as good as memory produced by the modified live preps. You *do* need to boost to get the full effect for lepto, according to my vet and research sources.

    It's been nearly 2.5 yrs since Mata has had a combo vaccine with just her core vaccines (no lepto or corona, etc). Since she's being bred, it's highly recommended to boost them for the sake of the future puppies' immune systems. Two breeder vets have told me that, so I'm not arguing the point (I bred another bitch a year ago to the one vet's stud and so picked her brain then on boosting vaccines, and all worked out great-- 11 puppies!). If no breeding was planned, I'd not be nearly as concerned, but I don't trust titers as they've failed friends.

    My current (after consultations today) thought is to give Lepto a 4 wk interval before boosting and follow 3 wks later w/ the Progard 5. I should still be a 3-4 wks ahead of her heat cycle this way... the immune system often dips during their cycle, so that is what I'm trying to avoid. Btw, I've not had problems w/ vaccines w/ her but don't want to invite any either!

    WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    henrysmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,752

    DefaultRe: Spacing vaccines

    Anne, if I have to give Henery vaccines this year, I'll do the single-valent ones at least 4 weeks apart (I'm talking say distemper, then parvo). We're titering, but in case he's low, that's what I'll do.

    Tia, if the lepto is an initial vaccine, it has to be boosted 4 weeks after the first one. Afterwards, it's just once a year.

    Makes sense about boosting the future puppies' immune systems!!

    Anne, went back and read your initial post re: single-valent puppy vaccines and spacing them... not sure how to answer that.

    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

  7. #5
    windycanyon's Avatar
    windycanyon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    C. WA
    Posts
    2,623

    DefaultRe: Spacing vaccines

    I'd love to squeeze my bordatella in between the 2 L4's too and will ask my vet on that..... I just don't know how breeders really protect those babies doing the singles! I'm running out of time yet have 2 mos roughly to work with-- an adult!
    My younger dogs are running so many events and around so many dogs I can't afford to slack off. I'd hate for them to get something but would hate even worse for my old girl to come down w/ something at 13.

    WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

  8. #6
    Tia's Avatar
    Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    247

    DefaultRe: Spacing vaccines

    Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    Quote Originally Posted by Tia
    I agree, sounds like a lot, especially for an adult dog who I presume has been vaxed before for the same things. What about vaxing for Lepto, and titering for parvo and distemper? Also, just wondering why you would need to boost a Lepto vax 4 weeks after the first one? I thought one shot was enough for the dog to build and maintain immunity for up to a year?
    Mata has never been vacc'd til last week for Lepto, and the "memory" on lepto (and some other killed vaccines) is not as good as memory produced by the modified live preps. You *do* need to boost to get the full effect for lepto, according to my vet and research sources.

    It's been nearly 2.5 yrs since Mata has had a combo vaccine with just her core vaccines (no lepto or corona, etc). Since she's being bred, it's highly recommended to boost them for the sake of the future puppies' immune systems. Two breeder vets have told me that, so I'm not arguing the point (I bred another bitch a year ago to the one vet's stud and so picked her brain then on boosting vaccines, and all worked out great-- 11 puppies!). If no breeding was planned, I'd not be nearly as concerned, but I don't trust titers as they've failed friends.

    My current (after consultations today) thought is to give Lepto a 4 wk interval before boosting and follow 3 wks later w/ the Progard 5. I should still be a 3-4 wks ahead of her heat cycle this way... the immune system often dips during their cycle, so that is what I'm trying to avoid. Btw, I've not had problems w/ vaccines w/ her but don't want to invite any either!
    Hmmm, didn't know you had to boost with the Lepto shot. Learned something new

    You can also buy Progard DPv if you didn't want to add in adenovirus/hepatitus and parainfluenza in the 5 combo.

  9. #7
    Canyon Labradors's Avatar
    Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,575

    DefaultRe: Spacing vaccines

    We did the VANGUARD® Plus 5 on our pups. It's also what we boosted Grace with before she was bred. Lepto isn't too big where we are, so I don't do it. I also don't do bordatella either. Even with shows, we've only had it 1x, about 5 years ago, and I am sure it was picked up at the dog park.

  10. #8
    Snowco Labradors's Avatar
    Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Posts
    852

    DefaultRe: Spacing vaccines

    If I had a bitch ready to be bred I would not vaccinate her. I would either titer her prior to breeding or wait till pups are weaned to titer and vaccinate then if necessary.


  11. #9
    windycanyon's Avatar
    windycanyon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    C. WA
    Posts
    2,623

    DefaultRe: Spacing vaccines

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    If I had a bitch ready to be bred I would not vaccinate her. I would either titer her prior to breeding or wait till pups are weaned to titer and vaccinate then if necessary.

    She's not "ready"--- She isn't due to come into season til Sept at the earliest.

    WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

  12. #10
    labby's Avatar
    labby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    *points to her right palm*
    Posts
    29,548

    DefaultRe: Spacing vaccines

    I give the combo vaccines (DA²P+CPV) to my dogs. It's very difficult to get just plain old distempter, then the A², etc. I give the Lepto in the spring and I make sure all vaccines are 3-4 weeks apart. Mine never get any vaccine within 3-4 weeks of an illness, surgery or other vaccine.



    Laura





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25