Combining Wet & Dry Food?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combining Wet & Dry Food?

Abby's Dad is offline Member

DefaultCombining Wet & Dry Food?

I am currently feeding Abigail exclusively dry food, and thought she could get some added nutritional benefits by combining it with a small portion of wet food at each feeding.

My motivation to do this is to basically an attempt to add some variety to her diet. It must get old eating the same thing day in, day out.

She is doing well on the dry only and although in most cases I believe if it's not broke don't fix it ,
    I still want to do what is best for her.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with doing this? Is there an actual benefit, or am I just wasting my money?

Thanks for your help.

Abigail's Dad

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Combining Wet & Dry Food?

I don't think it's necessary and I also think you'll be wasting your money.

If it were me, I'd be going to the butcher and buying raw meaty bones like marrow bones, knuckle bones, briskett bones and giving Abigail those in moderation. (For example: We give Milly a bone twice a week on Wednesdays and Sundays after obedience) We also give them to her frozen sometimes to make them last longer.

Milly is fed exclusively dry food. We often also put half a can of sardines in her kibble to give her a bit of variety and other times we also give her an egg in her kibble (shell and all) again for added variety. It's cheap and good for her.

Modified to add: Also, what about some green veggies? Green beans are a great variety/filler for your dog without adding any extra un-needed calories but has great nutrients in it. We also sometimes mush up pumpkin and put that in a kong as a treat for Milly .... it's good for her without too many extra calories

cheers
    Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I am currently feeding Abigail exclusively dry food, and thought she could get some added nutritional benefits by combining it with a small portion of wet food at each feeding....to add some variety to her diet....Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with doing this? Is there an actual benefit, or am I just wasting my money?
    Wasting money (IMO).

My Puff eats dry kibble in the morning for breakfast. (Kirkland/Costco C&R)

For supper, I add a slice (about the size of half of a bacon slice) of frozen raw salmon microwaved in a bit of water, then add her kibble, plus about 1/3 - 1/2 cup of cooked (w/no salt) frozen green string beans. I mix her kibble with that water.

Puff likes my cooking.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Your dog is not going to get tired of eating the same diet (my DH thinks the same thing, but by varying things you can make your dog into a picky eater - and have GI problems).

I HAVE a picky Shepherd who will not eat kibble alone. I do add wet food to hers. I actually have to heat it up (smells better and she is more likely to actually finish it). I did not make her a picky eater - Shepherds are notorious for this and she has gone days without eating for no apparent reason.

My Lab gets kibble only.
    Sharon

Aimee is offline Senior Member

I give mine some canned food frozen in kongs - they love it, and one can lasts several days with my two, so it's not pricey at all. Meal times are just dry kibble tho.

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aimee
    I give mine some canned food frozen in kongs - they love it, and one can lasts several days with my two, so it's not pricey at all. Meal times are just dry kibble tho.
    What a good idea! Much better than peanut butter (less fat).
    Sharon

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If it were me, I'd be going to the butcher and buying raw meaty bones like marrow bones, knuckle bones, briskett bones and giving Abigail those in moderation. (For example: We give Milly a bone twice a week on Wednesdays and Sundays after obedience) We also give them to her frozen sometimes to make them last longer.

Milly is fed exclusively dry food. We often also put half a can of sardines in her kibble to give her a bit of variety and other times we also give her an egg in her kibble (shell and all) again for added variety. It's cheap and good for her.
    This is almost exactly what we do. Marrow bones, eggs, sardines, etc., with the odd scraps and raw meals thrown in.

In answer to the OP's question, I don't think dogs which are fed on a high quality dry food NEED variety from other food sources. Most dogs can and do thrive on kibble from weaning until old age without any additional extras. However, my personal preference is to include variety in the diet, simply because my dogs enjoy it. They live to eat, so why not?

If you want to add canned food to Abigail's diet, that is totally up to you. Sometimes I get a couple of cans of high quality wet food and give it to my dogs over a few meals, but it is not a regular thing for us. High quality canned food is expensive. I would not bother with the cheaper quality canned foods as they contain mostly water and little meat.

As mentioned, the cheaper way to add variety to the diet is through using our food - meat scraps, raw eggs, etc. Also, if you have a good butcher, he or she can likely supply you with an assortment of bones for very low prices.

badboy2 is offline Senior Member

do you boil the marrow bones?or you give it raw?my understabding was if i fed my dog raw meat they get violent or will thirst for blood ..am i right?

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by badboy2
    do you boil the marrow bones?or you give it raw?my understabding was if i fed my dog raw meat they get violent or will thirst for blood ..am i right?
    umm no you are wrong. Boiling bones is bad! They are more likely to splinter and then puncture your dog's internal organs. Dogs personalities don't change by feeding them raw meat.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

badboy2 is offline Senior Member

oh ok hehehe i thought my dog will go crazy if i give him raw meat..maybe ill pick some cow bones from the chinese market..they were 3bux a bag..so how do you prepare the bones?give it to the dog fresh or freeze it like overnight?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast