sensitive stomach or allergies ???

Thread: sensitive stomach or allergies ???

Nobile is offline Member

Defaultsensitive stomach or allergies ???

Hello everyone, I hope someone can help us figure out what is wrong with poor Coco. Our chocolate lab Coco is now 8 months old and has had problems with everything we have tried to feed her. When she first came home in January she was being feed BlackGold puppy food by her breeder. He gave us a 20 lbs bag and she was fine. We decided we wanted to switch her slowly to Orijen large breed puppy after she had been home about a month. We added the Orijen very slowly over about three weeks but she began to get very loose stools and then bad diarrhea. We took her to the vet to be sure it was just the food and nothing else. He tested her blood and took a xray all seemed OK. He put her on a bland diet of Iams Veterinary Formulas Intestinal - Low-Residue. After about a week she was doing much better so we figured that she just didn't handle the Orijen well. After about another month I slowly began to switch her to Flint River Ranch Lamb, Millet & Rice Dog Food. She once again has the bad diarrhea and some vomiting. I feed her 1 cup of food 3 times a day. she is 58 pounds, and just about right according to the vet. The BlackGold that she was on from the breeder isn't even available in my area of New Jersey, so I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: sensitive stomach or allergies ???

Sounds like she needs a food with a high fiber content. Zoe was the same way at her age and the same Low Residue food worked for her. I then started her on Kirkland (made by Diamond for Costco) at 4% fiber and she was fine ever since. She could not tolerate the richer foods.

Nobile is offline Member

I took her to the vet last night and he said everything else checks out, so at least I can stop worrying about more serious issues and just work on getting her back to normal, then finding something she can handle. Thanks for the advice, and I will check into the food you recommended

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Digger 3 is offline Junior Member

How area you making the transformation from one food to the next? You should be doing the transformation over a weeks time or more. I am also a member of a doodle forum they seem to have much luck with Canidae. Doodles often have stomach problems and this particular food seems to help tremendously. I too have feed my lab Flint River Ranch and have just switch to Canidae because of an allergy he developed to the FRR. Just my two scents - good luck I hope your baby's belly is better soon. She is a cutie!!!!
    No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich.

Nobile is offline Member

I spent four weeks making the change over, so I'm sure it wasn't that I did it to fast. Since the vet switched her to the low residue she has been doing nicely. I will wait few weeks and when the vet recommends it I will start to consider other foods. Thanks for the advice, I will read up on the Canidae and I will keep you all updated with what I try and how she does

sarah is offline Senior Member

Good luck with your baby girl! I hope you find something that works well for her!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Nobile is offline Member

Thanks, I will keep searching until I find something that she does well on and that makes me feel comfortable that it is of a high quality. I want to make sure she gets the best quality food I can possibly give her. I had really hoped the Orijen would agree with her, now Im hoping to eventually try EVO