Urinary Infections, Inverted Vulva, Vaginitus, Vulvaplasty...anything else?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urinary Infections, Inverted Vulva, Vaginitus, Vulvaplasty...anything else?

wkbrdr03 is offline Member

DefaultUrinary Infections, Inverted Vulva, Vaginitus, Vulvaplasty...anything else?

Hailey is 13 months old. She hasn't had anything wrong with her but I guess when one thing goes wrong, it really goes wrong. She started out by having a couple of UTI's. The vet said that if she didn't get the Vulvaplasty then they would keep coming. So when she got her third UTI, with vaginitus, we got the surgery. He said everything went well and she should clear up in a couple days with the antibiotics she was on. Well after a couple days she wasn't showing any signs of improvement, so he gave her a stronger dose of antibiotics. She has now been on the stronger dose for a week and still a strong sign of infection. Lots of leaking mucus or something that comes out stringy and hangs on for a couple inches before it falls on my carpet or couch. Beautiful. So now what could be wrong and what is the solution. If antibiotics aren't working, what could they do to help her get over this nasty infection.

Thanks for your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Urinary Infections, Inverted Vulva, Vaginitus, Vulvaplasty...anything else?

Has she been through a heat cycle yet?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

DefaultRe: Urinary Infections, Inverted Vulva, Vaginitus, Vulvaplasty...anything else?

She was spayed before she had a chance, per advice of the vet. I know I regret it, a lot.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

when are you done the course of antibiotics? Have you talked to the vet about culturing and trying different antibiotics?

She just took her last pill of the antibiotics so I am calling them in the morning. THey said it was bad news if she didn't respond to these antibiotics because they are pretty strong. Just trying to figure out where things are going now. Not that it is a lot but she has cost me about 1200 bucks in the last 3 weeks and I just bought a house so I am trying not to go to the vet 15 more times to figure this out. Could it be something serious?

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

I don't really have any suggestions. I just wanted to wish you good luck with getting this nasty thing cleared up. My dog had an inverted vulva as well, but luckily she never had any Urinary Tract Infections. I was advised by my Vet (and others) to let her go through one heat cycle....which we did. My Vet wasn't sure if it would fix the problem, but it did help.

Wishing you and Hailey the best. Please update and let us know how things go after you talk to your Vet.

imported_CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

I would make sure they did a culture so they can give specific antibiotics for that infection. Just because it's a strong antibiotic doesn't mean it's the best one for that infection. Do you think she has a yeast infection from being on the antibiotics?

Hope she feels better soon.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I know it's a little late in the game, but maybe after this illness is over, I would consider interviewing for a new vet.

Hopefully they find an antibiotic to treat the infection she's got. Poor girl!

baby belle is offline Senior Member

My pup 8 months old has had vaginitis two times and she does have an inverted vulva. My vet recommended having her spayed after her first heat as the swelling may push her vulva out. If not they said during surgery they will i guess remove the overlap of skin. I was also told by my breeder not to spay until after first heat. Im sorry to hear this, i hope she is well soon!! keep an update.

They gave her another week and a half of antibiotics because there is a very little bit of improvement. If she isn't better after that time they are going to do a 'dye test' which involves giving her a dye and then x-raying to look for blockages and other problems. She got her stitches out though, which is good. The staples are still in though from the stitches that she tore out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast