flakes on the skin?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flakes on the skin?

badboy2 is offline Senior Member

Defaultflakes on the skin?

idk whats going on but i noticed that rocky have some flakes in his skin.and he is shedding a lot ..hes been on kirkland dog food .now im switching him again to nutro brand..he is 19mos now..i also noticed that he is having an almost bald spot in his body..can u pls help me what kind of shampoo or maybe a med i can use?i also give him omega3 capsules..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Izzie is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: flakes on the skin?

I am wondering the same thing Izzie is 9 months old and is shedding like crazy. She is almost bald on her hind legs and on the insides of all 4. At first I was thinking it was here food on the switch for nearly a month now no slow down. You can pull hand fulls of hair out of her all day long!!! Does anyone know what the cause of this is or is it just her adult coat coming in?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

idk whats going on but i noticed that rocky have some flakes in his skin.and he is shedding a lot
    Have you used a human shampoo (including those marked for babies) on Rocky? Human shampoos (including those for babies) cause skin irritation and dandruff on dogs because human skin is many times more acidic than dog skin.

Be sure to use a shampoo formulated specifically for dogs.

Also, fish oil capsules can help skin and fur.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bob i used head and shoulder coz i thought would help take out the flakes..now i bought mane and tail i think its for horses but people use it too.would that be bad for him also?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Shampooing a lab period could cause the flaking and irritation you're noticing. As water dogs, their coats have built-in oil protection that you strip away when you shampoo them, leaving them open to dryness and other such ailments. I would stop bathing altogether, chances are good that you'll just make things worse, regardless of what type of shampoo you use.

For Izzie, labs do tend to shed heavily twice a year, it's called "blowing coat". However, she shouldn't be getting any sort of bald patches. If she really is losing hair to the point where you can see the skin in places you couldn't before, I'd take her to the vet.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I have seen many labs blow so much coat that you can see down to the skin. My Roo I thought was going to get that bad but thankfully she held on to some coat. Cinder has always blown to the point you can get bald spots. I believe blowing coat and seeing dry flakes of skin are also hand in hand.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Shampooing a lab period could cause the flaking and irritation you're noticing. As water dogs, their coats have built-in oil protection that you strip away when you shampoo them, leaving them open to dryness and other such ailments. I would stop bathing altogether, chances are good that you'll just make things worse, regardless of what type of shampoo you use.

For Izzie, labs do tend to shed heavily twice a year, it's called "blowing coat". However, she shouldn't be getting any sort of bald patches. If she really is losing hair to the point where you can see the skin in places you couldn't before, I'd take her to the vet.
    what will i do to clean him?just wash him with water and thats it?

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I never bath my Labs. In the summer they swim. I consider that a bath.
    Otherwise a rinse with the hose or in the tub. No soap.
    I really see no need for bathing a Lab.
    Kim

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

badboy2 said:
    bob i used head and shoulder coz i thought would help take out the flakes..now i bought mane and tail i think its for horses but people use it too.would that be bad for him also?
    I suspect you caused the dandruff by using a people shampoo. People shampoo (even that for babies) is far more acidic than dog skin and causes irritation, shedding, and dandruff. Using a people shampoo to eliminate dandruff (like the H&S) only continues the irritation and flaking.

now i bought mane and tail i think its for horses but people use it too.would that be bad for him also?
    IF it's satisfactory for people, it's probably not suitable for dogs. I googled pH equine skin but wasn't able to find any pH value.

But WHY in the world are you buying shampoos designed for people, and that for horses, rather than one designed for the dog you want to bathe?

1. Use plain water. Flush all over and then thoroughly dry.

2. If that's not sufficient to remove an offending odor, spot clean the offending area with a dog shampoo. Then thoroughly flush with water and dry.

Below is a post I've often made.

I confess this topic is important to me because, with my beloved Bess, I also mistakenly used baby shampoo thus causing her continued bouts of dandruff. I'm trying to atone for my stupidity and ignorance.

Human skin (adult, baby, male, female, etc.) is many times more acidic than dog skin. Human skin is around 5.5 on the logarithmic pH scale (1=most acidic, 7=neutral, 14=most alkaline) while dogs are around 7. If any human shampoo is properly formulated, it will irritate dogs' skin by its immediate contact whether you wash it all off or not, just as a brief exposure of battery acid on your skin would irritate it even if you washed it all off. This irritation to your dog's skin can cause irritation, skin shedding and dandruff-like flakes.

Google pH dog skin for more references, if you don't believe.

One example, from http://www.petshed.com/petcyclopedia...-properly.html :

The first rule of dog bathing is not to use a human shampoo. The pH of dog skin is very different to that of human skin. While our skin has a pH of around 5.5 to 5.6, your dog's skin is much more neutral, averaging a pH of between 6.2 and 7.4. Shampoos formulated for humans are much more acidic than those for dogs, and using a human shampoo can upset the balance of a dog's skin.

Or, for a safe home made dog shampoo, see this recipe: http://www.k911.biz/Petsafety/DogShampoo.htm

For a brief summary of pH values, see http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/184ph.html

The pH difference of about 1.5 between the skin of dogs and humans means that human skin is about 60 times more acidic than dog skin. Each whole integer step represents a 10X increase, two integers represents a 100X increase. The Elmhurst reference just above reference includes the following (basic = alkaline):

Introduction and Definitions:
    Acidic and basic are two extremes that describe a chemical property chemicals. Mixing acids and bases can cancel out or neutralize their extreme effects. A substance that is neither acidic nor basic is neutral.

The pH scale measures how acidic or basic a substance is. The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14. A pH of 7 is neutral. A pH less than 7 is acidic. A pH greater than 7 is basic.

The pH scale is logarithmic and as a result, each whole pH value below 7 is ten times more acidic than the next higher value. For example, pH 4 is ten times more acidic than pH 5 and 100 times (10 times 10) more acidic than pH 6. The same holds true for pH values above 7, each of which is ten times more alkaline (another way to say basic) than the next lower whole value. For example, pH 10 is ten times more alkaline than pH 9 and 100 times (10 times 10) more alkaline than pH 8.

Pure water is neutral. But when chemicals are mixed with water, the mixture can become either acidic or basic. Examples of acidic substances are vinegar and lemon juice. Lye, milk of magnesia, and ammonia are examples of basic substances.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

man i dont even kno why we started using our shampoo when i have a dog shampoo from hartz which i thought is not good compared to human shampoo..thanks for the info bob ..
    anyway now that this had happen what should i do to resolve the flakes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast