Titers - Which ones to do? UPDATED on Monday
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titers - Which ones to do? UPDATED on Monday

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultTiters - Which ones to do? UPDATED on Monday

Starting a new thread as I'm wondering what everyone who does titers gets checked? I'm having titers done next week. Also what does the cost generally run for each titer? Just curious.

I know I've read that it is the MLV core vaccines that are supposed to be good for at least three years. I'm not sure what my Vet used last year, but I know he said that the company indicated it was good for three years....so I guess it must have been MLV?

I'm going to get the Bordatella (nasal one) done. The kennels require it and apparently it's around right now. She had the "shot" last time, but this year he's recommending the nasal drops and said it's better.

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Titers - Which ones to do?

Actually the bordatella shot is better...but neither one of them protect against all strains.

I got the Distemper, Parvo, and Adrenovirus titer which cost $36 I think. Then I added the 4 lepto titers for a total of $82. The titer cost is usually grouped...CDV, CAV, and CPV are together and the lepto are together.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Rosie, when Henery goes in for his annual in August, I'm going to have distemper, parvo, lepto titres done. I had thought my vet had quoted me $70 for the distemper and parvo titres...? I'll have to call and doublecheck.
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Distemper and parvo titer is $73 done every two years sent to Cornell.
    Alicia

everydog is offline Senior Member

About $80 for parvo/distemper titers here, but there's no need to titer within the first 3 years after vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Actually the bordatella shot is better...but neither one of them protect against all strains.
    Dani, I thought that too, but my Vet is saying the intranasal is definitely better now. She had the shot last year, so I'm not sure why the change.

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    Rosie, when Henery goes in for his annual in August, I'm going to have distemper, parvo, lepto titres done. I had thought my vet had quoted me $70 for the distemper and parvo titres...? I'll have to call and doublecheck.
    Felicia do you not titer for Adenovirus that Dani mentioned? I'm assuming that's CAV for short. I read somewhere (while Googling) that they haven't managed to get an accurate test for titering for Lepto, but perhaps it was an older article. The price doesn't sound bad. All I know is the titers are significantly more expensive here than having the vaccinations done. I totally forgot to ask about the cost when I was there.....not that that would change what I was going to do anyway. I just wondered. By the way Felicia I'm not Rosie, I'm June.

You know I have no idea whether the vaccines she had last year were Modified Live Virus. I seem to be reading that MLV are the core ones that are good for the three years. I do know that when I questioned the whole vaccinating protocol my Vet said that that particular vaccine indicated if was good for three years. It was a combo vaccine and included lepto (which I've read is only good for a year maximum). I guess I'll ask about it when I go back in.

Oops sorry, my bad. Hi June!

I *think* what my vet said was that titering for distemper and parvo give a good indication of the overall "health" of the immune system, ie. if distemper/parvo titers are good, one could assume that adenovirus would be sufficient as well? Henery has only ever had the multivalent vaccines (DAPP), which he will never have again. If any are low, I'm going to give him the single vaccines only, 4 weeks apart. She and I had this discussion months ago however, and I may not be remembering it correctly, so I'll have to get back to you on that. Eeek. I could be totally brain-farting!!

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Thanks Felicia. We go along to the Vet in the morning to have the blood tests for the titering. I guess the Vet knows which ones need doing. I was just curious and like to have some knowledge ahead of time. I don't want to miss something she needs to have.

Do you know anything about whether the original shots needed to be MLV? It seems that's what I'm reading, but I don't know if her previous vaccines were MLV or not.....just that my Vet said that the ones she had last year indicated they were good for three years. As I mentioned this puzzles me because it contained the lepto vaccine and I know that's not supposed to be good for more than a year.

Lepto and bordetella are only good for a year from what I've read, and everything else is good for 3+ years. That's how I understand it anyway...?

Let us know what your vet says!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Like many others, I'm in the distemper/parvo camp.

However, I'm pretty sure my vet charges 70$ PER titre. :whatever:
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast