Anal Gland Removal???

Thread: Anal Gland Removal???

Barbian0521 is offline Member

DefaultAnal Gland Removal???

It looks like we may be facing this surgery for Tyty (who is 2). He leaks anal glands constantly and it seems very uncomfortable for him. Has anyone done this surgery or know much about the pros and cons???
    <br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anal Gland Removal???

We were facing the very same thing with our 5 year old lab until our vet put him on clyclosporine for about 3 months. It cost about 300.00 per month, but was well worth it.
    My vet said that removing a anal gland is very complicated and they loose alot of support for their rectum by removing one.
    I hope this helps, and good luck.

goodguy is offline Senior Member

I've heard they could have trouble "holding it" with them removed and they may have frequent accidents...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Exactly.....that's why surgery is last option. My big guy was very very uncomfortable with his gland. It actually leaked all the time until this medecine. I know that this is really common is German Shephards but I haven't heard many in labs.

Barbian0521 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by tinat1
    We were facing the very same thing with our 5 year old lab until our vet put him on clyclosporine for about 3 months. It cost about 300.00 per month, but was well worth it.
    My vet said that removing a anal gland is very complicated and they loose alot of support for their rectum by removing one.
    I hope this helps, and good luck.

I emailed my vet last night asking for any other options because surgery to me should be a last resort. Especially for a two year old lab. Do you know what clyclosporine is exactly or what it is designed to do? When we had them released Friday the tech said that she felt a lot of scar tissue (probably from the bad vet we saw for a few months) and I felt it too last night. So my hope is that he didn't damage them and they can't hold the fluid. Expressing them doesn't even work anymore, I did it last night and got nothing although we can smell it constantly, so I know it's there! Please continue to keep in touch with me about your anal gland issue too, I would love to compare treatments and what not...
    <br />

Excuse the spelling....not :educated:
    It is a anibiotic for perianal fistulas (close enough) that is used high dosage for at least 6 weeks to close the gland. So far I am on a cheaper generic every other day to make sure we don't have a expensive re-occurance.
    You can look this up and it will tell you more.
    Again, I wish you the best of luck. Let me know what your vet says.
    Tina

blaisberg is offline Member

Last year, unexpectedly, Evan had an anal gland abscess. He's on a raw diet so quality of food was not a factor. They have to clean it out, and put a drain in, etc. Gross and messy and he was very uncomfortable and embarrassed. But the vet said it was likely that the scar tissue would mean it wouldn't be a problem again. A few months later, same problem on the other side, except I recognized the symptoms before it erupted... it was impacted and there was an infection. The bad news is that the surgery is the same as if it erupted. So now scar tissue on both sides. After about a month, he was impacted again and draining it was very painful for him so I considered surgery. My husband thought that it was best we learn to drain them ourselves. Fortunately, neither situation has presented itself.
    I'm hoping he doesn't plug up or get infected again, but if he does, it's surgery! The glands serve no real purpose and anything that is going to cause him ongoing problems is best handled once.
    Good luck.
    Jocelyn

TimC. is offline Senior Member

It's expensive and there is the possibility of incontinence. We were considering it for awhile for Oona because she would have to get her glands expressed every three weeks. The problem stopped when we stopped giving her dog treats and substituted it with her dry dog food. We haven't had to have her glands expressed for the last two years. If we would have had to have them removed I would have found the person in the area that does them all the time, that way you are hedging your bet for a success.
    Olie