Grass infection?

Thread: Grass infection?

Majin_Koenma is offline Junior Member

DefaultGrass infection?

Hello, everyone.

On the first weekend of January this year I adopted a nine month old Chocolate Lab pup I named Hershey, who had no hair on his underside. The vet said that it was probably from the bedding the rescue people had him sleeping on, and that it would probably grow in. Long story short his hair did grow in, and I thought nothing of it.

Well Hershey is almost eight months old now, and about three weeks ago when Hershey was in obedience class I noticed some little red spots on Hershey's underside on the areas not covered by hair and on the insides of his back lags. My trainer said that it looked like a grass infection, and her advice was to keep him out of the grass and see if it cleared up. I did, and it seemed to get better until last week when one of my mother's day care kids brought her new basset pup over to play. Now the spots are back, and not only that but the hair on Hershey's underside and chest is starting to thin out again.

The red spots don't really bother me because they're probably from the grass, but the thinning hair has me kind of worried. When my mother went to the vets office a couple days ago to buy another bag of Hershey's prescription dog food she brought Hershey with and had a vet tech look at him. The vet tech said that it was either from the grass allergy or from lying in his kennel for extended periods of time. My mother does home day care, so Hershey spends a lot of time in the kennel during the day. He is good with kids but my mother watched a small infant that we don't want Hershey to accidentally hurt. I try to get him out of the kennel as much as possible during the day, but with day care kids running around that isn't always possible. So does anyone have any idea what could be going on here? Could it be from being in the kennel, or a grass allergy? Has anyone else had a similar problem with they're dog?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Grass infection?

Caleb has something similar going on. We've come to the conclusion that, on top of his allergy to beef, he also has some kind of contact/pollen allergy. His reactions were definitely worse a few weeks ago when the pollen was heavy here. I found that hosing/rinsing him off helps a lot, as does occasionaly wiping him down with babywipes (he loves that ). On the days when his underside looks more irritated, I also spray it with some Benadryl spray.

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a staph infection from anything. You should take him to the vets for some med's to get it under control.
    Alicia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Majin_Koenma is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the replies, all. A stapf infection is a possibility that no one had brought up to me yet, hopefully some antibiotics will clear him up.

Anyways...

The red spots in Hershey's underside are have cleared up for the most part, but this morning I noticed that the spot on his chest where his hair was thinning has now gone completely bald. It wasn't this bad yesterday, so this happened literally overnight. The bald spot also has a small red spot very similar to what he had on his underside in the middle of it. Could this have happened from lying in the kennel all night? Could it be allergies? Staph infection? Thanks in advance to all who reply.