what ear cleaner do you like?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what ear cleaner do you like?

Defaultwhat ear cleaner do you like?

What's everyone's favorite ear cleaner/drying agent? Is there a recipe for one you can make at home, or better to buy it? We're swimming in a lake a lot this summer - how often do you use ear fluid? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Honestly, I don't clean my dogs ears.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

labby is offline Senior Member

Me either. Unless there is a definite problem I stay out of their ears. Oh I might wipe them down with a quick swipe of a cotton balls, but I don't regularly clean my dogs' ears. To do so could change the pH in the ears, opening yourself up to all kinds of problems.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Same here. We also spend a lot of time on the beach, I just dry them with a towel or cotton ball. So far, so good.

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

I don't do anything either until I see Shane shaking his head, then I use K-9 Liquid Health Ear Solutions.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

Alright - thanks, this is different from what I expected to hear! Even if a lot of lake swimming, ok not to treat ears unless you discover a problem? It's not regular maintenance? (Newbie question - Maisy is our first, 12 wks old.) Thanks everyone.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shane23 View Post
    I don't do anything either until I see Shane shaking his head...
    Same here. Sometimes I wipe Caleb's ear flap with either a baby wipe or a Stridex pad. But, as for putting cleaner in his ears, only if he starts shaking his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane23 View Post
    ...then I use K-9 Liquid Health Ear Solutions
    That's the stuff that's the same as the purple ear cleaner people have been making for years, right? I found that much more convient than making it! Now that I've figured out what food was triggering the ear problems, I use a simple 50/50 mix of witch hazel and white vinegar if I need use a cleaner.

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

Yes, it's the same as the purple stuff people make, I too found it easier to just buy it. It works great.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

labby is offline Senior Member

No, ear cleaning is NOT regular maintenance. Neither is bathing. Doesn't matter if they swim every day or not. Do not put anything in those ears or you will mess up the ear pH and then you will subject your dog to ear problems, possibly for the rest of its life. (sorry to be blunt, but you didn't get the hint from the other answers. )

Wipe the ear out with a tissue or cotton ball and that's it. If there is a discharge in the ear, then take the dog to the vet to determine if it's bacterial or yeast. Never treat an ear problem by yourself without finding out what it is you are dealing with.

Laura

mommacomet is offline Senior Member

I have always just kept baby wipes on hand if needed for outer ear cleaning if needed, make sure they are dry if they have gotten wet . I have used for their ears if there was an issue the purple power ear solution and had good results with it but I ok'd it with my vet first as our newf mix had horrible ear issues and it helped him.

Peg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast