Question

Thread: Question

Lyn1317 is offline Junior Member

DefaultQuestion

I have a five month old yellow lab puppy. He has always been very laid back and mellow, but in the last week or so I have noticed that he seems a little slow to stand up, in the back end especially. It's almost like he won't get up and move unless he absolutely has to. I did have him to the vet today and they said his anal glands were very full so the vet fixed that. I was wondering about hip dysplasia, but the vet said to wait a couple of weeks and see if there is an improvement after today. He also suggested switching his food because he has some enlarged growth plates that could be painful. Has anyone else had anything like these problems??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question

I wouldn't jump to hip dysplasia immediately. 5 months is a crazy growing time for pups, and he may just be experiencing growing pains. I'd have to agree with your vet to monitor his activity for a bit and see how it goes. What are you feeding that you have to already express his anal glands? I've been extremely fortunate that I have not had to do that with either of my boys, but they are also on pretty high quality kibble.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

We were just feeding him a Pedigree dog food for puppies, but the vet obviously suggested going to a higher quality dog food. He gave me Acana for large breed puppies. Bear really is going through an extreme growing period right now all lanky legs!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

If he's growing fast, be very careful with him. It's probably good that he is mellow right now. I don't know anything about Acana but hopefully the Ca:P levels are scaled way back. That's a situation that scares me (fast growth). Please keep him LEAN too.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Thanks Bob!

Should I be careful about exercising him? I go for walks with my other dogs (a chocolate lab and a miniature dachshund) and we go anywhere from 2 - 3 miles at a time. Is this too far for him? Thanks for all your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn1317
    Should I be careful about exercising him? I go for walks with my other dogs (a chocolate lab and a miniature dachshund) and we go anywhere from 2 - 3 miles at a time. Is this too far for him? Thanks for all your responses.
    That is too long of a walk for most dogs his age, especially if that is on hard pavement. That said, I've taken my pups that age for off leash walks (where they can change pace as they desire) but that is on soft surfaces and they are already conditioned well as my place is 5 acres that they run on.