Titers Testing

Thread: Titers Testing

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultTiters Testing

Not sure I understand what this test accomplishes. I asked my vet about it and they said it costs $90. Can someone explain to me in plain english what this test covers so I don't have to be a complete idiot next time I go the vet and they want to give shots I don't think I want my dogs to have. Bordella was one they wanted to give and I said, no, they aren't kenneled or going thru any training. Other than rabies, what are the absolute necessary shots and tests needed?

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Titers Testing

Bear with me, but this is how I understand it. If I'm incorrect, someone please correct me!

Titres test for circulating antibodies (humoral immunity). Your body (or dog's body) produces antibodies in response to a vaccination, or a challenge to their immune system by that particular disease. What a titre can tell you is whether or not there are large or sufficient numbers to these circulating antibodies, or whether there aren't (and when you might need to revaccinate).

Titres are not 100%. Titres cannot measure the amount of protection that the body has in its cells (cell-mediated immunity). Therefore, the body may actually have enough protection to warrant not having another vaccine, even though its circulating antibodies are low. Does this make sense? So, what this could mean is you could be "falsely" vaccinating even though the body still has lots of protection.

A good analogy would be a city with fire engines. There are fire engines driving around (circulating antibodies) and there are some in the stations. Both are capable of fighting fire, but titres would only measure the ones driving around.

You can titre for rabies, distemper, parvo and adenovirus (I think) but not bordetella and I'm not sure about lepto.

Here are some good articles:
    http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...s06Revised.pdf

This one has different "programs" as far as vaccination goes, whether you want to do a minimal approach, a maximum approach, or something in between.
    http://www.fallriverlabs.com/Conside...for%20Dogs.htm

I am currently titre-ing for Henry as he has had adverse vaccine reactions in the past. I wish I knew then what I know now. This year he would have been due for his distemper/parvo. If he still needs to be vaccinated (which I highly doubt he will), I will give each one separately, one month apart (rather than in a multivalent/combo vaccine... like DHPP). We're also on a 3 year rabies vacc which he's due for next year.

Also wanted to add that the bordetella vaccine is not 100% protective, kinda like the flu shot. Henry was vaccinated for bordetella (requirement for daycare) and still got KC. Granted it was a much milder course than the other non-vaccinated dogs who brought it into daycare, but still. I don't give it to him anymore.

Hope this helps you out some, and doesn't confuse you!!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    Titres are not 100%. Titres cannot measure the amount of protection that the body has in its cells (cell-mediated immunity). Therefore, the body may actually have enough protection to warrant not having another vaccine, even though its circulating antibodies are low. Does this make sense? So, what this could mean is you could be "falsely" vaccinating even though the body still has lots of protection.
    I could be wrong, but my understanding is that this can also go the other way and show adequate protection when there isn't.....at least that is how I understood it when talking to my Vet. There was an article in one of the dog magazines awhile back talking about doing titers and how some Vets were not confident that they could be counted on. Though I've done a bit of research into this as I'm wondering what to do myself, I'm still not totally clear on what percentage are or might not be accurate. It doesn't seem very clear cut.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I hear you, Rosie. I wonder what the % of false positives/false negatives there are??

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Dani is offline Senior Member

Yes, there is no 100% on anything, and my titre's cost $82. I had Parvo, Adenovirus, Distemper and Lepto all checked.

To break down the test, a CPV (Canine Parvovirus) titer of 80 or higher is considered protective, any detectable CAV (canine adenovirus) antibody titer is considered protective, and a CDV (canine distemper virus) titer of 50 or higher is considered protective.

Rider had a CPV titer of greater than 640, a CAV of 64, and a CDV of greater than 512. His lepto was borderline because they just switched to a 4 way lepto vac the year before so we opted to booster his lepto this year. All of the rest of the vaccines were not given, as he has a lot of protection (or perceived protection).

If you think about it, once your kids reach a certain age, they are not boostered as they are considered protected against childhood things. Why isn't this same philosophy used with our pets? I am now going to titer annually to monitor and vaccinate every three years until they reach 10, and then I will probably not vaccinate aside from rabies. Rider had a lepto vaccination reaction so we need to be careful with that.

I think if you know what you want your vet should comply with your wishes.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Dani, so you *can* titre for lepto? That's awesome... Henry had a BAD reaction to the lepto last year.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Felicia, yes, you can titer for Lepto. And when we boostered because he was borderline, Rider had a reaction too...vomiting and diarreha bad for 24 hours. I only spent $82 this year on Rider, where as my friend who owns Drake, spent $180 on vaccines because he went the full gamut...even bordatella. Nope. Not going to do that anymore if I don't have to.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Cool. I'll have to ask our vet to titre for lepto as well then. Henry had explosive diarrhea for 2-3 days afterwards, but no vomiting. Ugh. I'd rather not put him through that again!

Hijack: are you going to the HRLRC training day July 6?

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks Felicia and Dani! Info is much appreciated!

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We are part of a minority...other than puppy shots and the 1 year booster, we don't give any other shots. I don't do bordatella either. The only one we do is rabies, because it's legally required and you need that tag.

We used to titer in CA and they charged $40, which I could live with. Our in CO they wanted to charge like $80, said it was cheaper just to give the shots. Nope, it's cheaper NOT to give the shots, but in the several years we titered the older dogs, they never needed boosters, and I figured I would just let them be. They are 6 and 7.

Grace was brought UTD on shots only because we were breeding her in a few months, and I thought it was best for passing on antibodies to healthy babies.