My Lab was attacked and bitten - what should I do?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Lab was attacked and bitten - what should I do?

dugan51 is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy Lab was attacked and bitten - what should I do?

Today, my gentle yellow female was attacked (not the first time) by the neighbor's psycho male Dalmatian. This attack was worse and my dog has 4 fairly deep puncture wounds around her front shoulder and inside the front leg. They bled quite a bit. I washed them out good and I'm thinking one of the wounds may need a stitch. Plus, I can tell it really hurts because she now can't walk without limping badly.

My question is how necessary do you think a vet visit is? I'm pretty sure the other dog is vaccinated, but what's the danger to my dog if she doesn't see the vet? Does she need a shot to prevent infection, etc?

And what would you advise about the attacking dog? My dog didn't provoke him, he just doesn't like her as well as other dogs. He has gotten into other fights besides mine. He seems very unstable. I wouldn't trust him around any kids at all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My Lab was attacked and bitten - what should I do?

I would at the very least call the vet and see what they think. She probably needs to have that one closed up and all should be watched for an infection. If this dog has attacked before I'd call animal services, especially since skin was broken and your dog was bleeding. Where was your dog attacked? On the road, park, yard ect? Where was the owner while you're poor girl was being attacked? I'd atleast make them aware of it and let them foot the vet bill for your girl!!
    -Brandie<br /><br /><br />Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador or three in your lap.

sarah is offline Senior Member

This is an easy one

Your female lab needs vet assistance, they can provide a stitch if necessary, pain relief pills and an injection to help stop infection. (would you want to have bite holes in your shoulder with no pain relief or an aide against infection??)

The dalmatian needs to be reported ASAP! You need to find out also when the dalmatian last had it's annual vaccination. If it's not vaccinated then you need to put that in your report too. Take plenty of pictures of your dogs wounds also to submit with your report. Theoconbrio has recently experienced something similar with his lab being attacked and there is a thread on JL somewhere about his experience and what he did as well.

The owner of the attacking dog should be responsible for your vet bills also I believe.... I really hope you see a vet and your girl is ok and feels better soon!

cheers Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

see a vet, document everything, and contact your local animal control.

Where did this attack occur?

dugan51 is offline Junior Member

Let me give a little more information on how, where this happened.
    We're at our summer place by a lake where we spend 2 months. The Dalmatian owners are permanent residents and are right beside us.
    Anyway, the neighbor lady likes my dog (Jessie) and always come over to see her and gives her treats etc. So, whenever Jessie sees her, she goes running to her. The lady wants her killer Dalmation (Sam) and Jessie to play and get along. It usually goes OK although I'm always skeptical due to his history.

Today Jessie and I were coming up from the lake when Jessie saw the lady crossing the road to their back lot where they have a garage which is adjacent to our place. Jessie saw her and like usual went running over to her. At that point they were probably right on the propery line dividing us. Well, Sam was loose over by their house and when he saw Jessie he came charging across the road and hit her full force. It was over in about 5 seconds but the damage was done and Jessie came limping back to me. I immediately took her inside and didn't go back out to talk about it. I haven't seen them yet tonight either.

We don't want this to become an issue, but the Dalmatian is not to be trusted. From now on, I'll be sure to see if he's out of his kennel and if he is, Jessie will be leashed, and if Sam comes over to us, I may bash his brains out.

sarah is offline Senior Member

IMO no matter how it happened you need to take Jessie to the vet

Was Jessie on their property when this happened?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

personally, i can't believe you didn't have the police over. immediately..if it was your child, would you be so laid back? [they will take a report & bring in animal control]
    this dog that attacked sounds like a neighborhood menace.
    most places have laws that will at least require the owner to be sure he is contained properly, but it won't happen unless there is a case history. this means, anyone who is 'letting this go' is adding to the problem in the long run.

imported_LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

Should definately take her to the vet. To be devils advocate here maybe the dalmation went into protection mode with his owner? He saw Jessie heading towards the owner and attacked? Not that I'm condoning what happened in the least and given his previous incidents it probably isn't the case but I had to just throw it out there. Leashing would definately be a good idea if the Dalmation is loose and does Jessie come back when you call her? If you see her running for people I would call her back to you and make her walk with you up to the person especially if they have a dog.
    -Brandie<br /><br /><br />Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador or three in your lap.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by queenofthedogs
    this means, anyone who is 'letting this go' is adding to the problem in the long run.
    agree wholeheartedly

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Quote Originally Posted by queenofthedogs
    this means, anyone who is 'letting this go' is adding to the problem in the long run.
    agree wholeheartedly
    I 3rd this opinion, including your dog needs to see a vet! I have two friends who's dogs have gotten attacked recently, separate dogs and occasions. Both had puncture wounds and needed antibiotics and drains! You do not want these wounds closing up with out through irrigation and cleaning, they need to heal from the inside out! Please take your pup in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast