Thoughts on treating intestinal blockage?

Thread: Thoughts on treating intestinal blockage?

ellaspal is offline Junior Member

DefaultThoughts on treating intestinal blockage?

So... kind of a long story. Our 18 month old Ella has visited the vet three times in the past 6 months with a tummy full of socks and underwear. Each time our vet has given laxatone to "grease the skids" along with fluids, anti-nasea, etc. and each time she passes them right out in our yard. (I think socks are like crack to this dog... we've done everything to keep her away but she always finds them)
    She started throwing up that gross, brown vomit today and I knew immediately we had a blockage going on again. My vet is out of town and another vet they recommended took her right away. He took x-rays and does see something but can't tell exactly where it is. He is presenting a kind of doom and gloom scenario... more so than we are used to hearing from our regular vet. He won't let me give her food, thinks we are definitely talking surgery, talked about perforations and on and on. He gave her a pill with barium "spheres" that were supposed to break down in her system tonight so they can look more tomorrow. Of course she threw them up tonight so I don't think he will see anything tomorrow. I'm afraid this guy is going to want to do surgery right away and we have always taken a few days to get this resolved.
    My vet will be back on Friday and I would rather wait for him to get his opinion. I think this vet I saw today is just fine but I also think I would like to get my vet's opinion. I just don't know what to do. I don't want to risk her health but I just can't afford $1,000 or more for surgery when it may not even be necessary. Any thoughts? This always seems to happen when my husband is out of town working and I don't have another adult to discuss this with.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Thoughts on treating intestinal blockage?

I've never had blockage with my three yet (thank god and knock on wood) I do know that one of the other members just had life saving surgery on her dog at the end of last week because of blockage that turned out to be a pinecone. I'd say you've been really lucky with her passing the socks each time and maybe she'll do it again but I don't know if I'd want to take the risk either. Is she worse than the other times or the same? Four days is a long time to wait if she's got a bad blockage though. If your seriously concerned that this vet is wanting to do surgery where it's not necessary I'd get a second opinion from another vet, just to make sure and put your mind at ease.
    -Brandie<br /><br /><br />Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador or three in your lap.

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

IMO if the dog is drinking normally, you can wait a little bit--they can go without food for quite some time [like, a week or 2] easily, but not drinking is a true emergency.
    questions: do you know for SURE it is 'just socks/underwear ?[i.e. soft things]
    for the future: can you crate this dog when you are not 'right there', and keep it on a leash even in the house? just a thought!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ellaspal is offline Junior Member

Just an update. Ella had surgery at 11 this morning... she is fine but the doctor found a corn cob in her small intestine. It had started to tear at the tissue but he was able to get it back together. Glad I didn't wait... He said by tomorrow she could have died. I am freaking out how close we came. We had no idea she had gotten one. We had a houseful a week ago and that is when we served corn. Apparently she got to an ear without our knowledge. Otherwise, this dog is crated for her own safety at night and I think I will start leashing her when I am with her in the house. Thanks for your input. I am just thanking God that we dodged a bullet this time. Of course we need to get through recovery but she is young and tough and has lots of love from her family.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Wow! Good Luck on the recovery.
    When I was a vet tech (many years ago) we had to do a similar surgery for a dog that had eaten a corn cob. You just don't think of them as particularly dangerous.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Hope the recovery is fast! Suggestion-- pick up your laundry or make sure she's in a crate when you can't watch her. I've had 2 friends lose adult dogs this spring due to secondary infection that set in after ingestion of blanket parts or whatever. Another has a 1 yo in recovery... it was nip and tuck there for a bit. This is really serious stuff.

Knock on wood but I've not had dogs eat odd stuff here, but have had puppies in pet homes that did. I really think the secret is lots of exercise... mental and physical. 18 mos is a hard age and they really need alot of stimulation from you. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Jasmine Dream is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    I've had 2 friends lose adult dogs this spring due to secondary infection that set in after ingestion of blanket parts or whatever. Another has a 1 yo in recovery... it was nip and tuck there for a bit. This is really serious stuff.
    Definitely serious stuff. Jazz ate part of a tassle and had to have 2 obstruction surgeries to get it all out and did almost die when she developed an infection in her abdominal cavity. I am always scared she will eat something again. Keeping them worn out certainly does help. A tired dog is a good dog.. Sending prayers for a successful and complete recovery

Twinpond's Jasmine "Jazz" Dream
    Born 12.31.04

Visit Jazz's Web Site

moloo is offline Member

Tallulah ate 3/4 of a slipper last night.....I never know what she'll get next!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Glad your dog is going to be OK.

We also keep all rooms shut, and keep a close eye on what's in the main area that the pups can get. I am not much fun while the pups are in their informative months, constantly griping at family members about socks, junk left at puppy eye level etc. With 5, we've been luck to never experience a blockage.