Suddenly Lame - Help! Updated After Vet Visit
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suddenly Lame - Help! Updated After Vet Visit

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultSuddenly Lame - Help! Updated After Vet Visit

Yesterday while SU and Dee where out walking he said that she had suddenly starting favoring one leg. (front) He thought maybe she'd just walked on a sharp rock or something and she seemed to be okay shortly after. We checked out her pads to see if there was anything obvious there, but nothing.

Anyway, today they headed out again and only got about three doors down before he came back and called me to come and have a look. He walked her back and forth so that I could see what was happening. She walks along looking almost fine (maybe slightly favoring the leg, but nothing much), then suddenly it almost looks like it's giving out on her......then extreme lameness....then it seems to be back to very mild lameness again....then bang it looks like it gives out on her again. This happened about three times while I was watching. It's almost like something is going out of place. I can't see any swelling or anything unusual on looking at it, but clearly something is up. Though her hips are not as great as they could be, she has always been solid in the front....no problems whatsoever.

Coincidentally I have a Vet appointment later today. I was taking her in for a check-up and to ask about vaccinating protocol and titers etc., but I guess I'll be asking him about this now as well. Does anyone have any idea what this might be from the description I gave above. If it was just a mild steady lameness I might think she had pulled a muscle or something, but it's odd how it suddenly seems to give out on her. SU said she was holding it up briefly yesterday and then seemed fine, but I haven't seen her holding it up at all today. I thought I might be able to gets some thoughts on this from JL members before I head for the Vet's in awhile.

TIA

Update Thursday...

We saw our Vet today. He had a good look and did some manipulating. Nothing seemed tender...no obvious swelling or anything else. Talked to him about Lyme, OCD, etc. etc. He thought that it was possible that she could have hurt her shoulder when she ran down the stairs and that something is cramping or pinching....thus the weird on and off lameness. We normally have a baby gate up because we don't want her doing this, but the odd time we forget and she loves to race down the stairs. Anyway I'm still puzzled but hoping it improves over the next few days. If it doesn't he tentatively has us booked for x-rays at the beginning of next week. He didn't figure her symptoms indicated Lyme at all and as I mentioned it is very uncommon around here, however if this doesn't get sorted out quickly I'll be getting that test done too just to be safe. Thanks for all your replies to my post.

CaliforniaLabLover - I'm thinking of your comment/post about the brachial plexus. I wonder if something is pinching there. I didn't specifically mention BP when I was at the Vet, but that would kind of fit the symptoms, wouldn't it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Suddenly Lame - Help!

I would consider a lyme test while you are the vet.

One of my pups went home after boarding with me and buyer said he was tired and lethargic. They thought because of all the play time at my house for a week.

After a week of this they went to the vet and he tested positive for lyme.

Limping can also be a sign of lyme.

Good luck at the vet.

Snowco,

Thanks for replying. Lyme is very uncommon where I am. Could it cause these symptoms of the leg looking almost okay and then very suddenly giving out, and then a few strides later seeming almost okay again etc. etc.? She hasn't been lethargic (in fact was very disappointed that her walk only lasted five minutes) and no other problems, but I'd definitely have her checked for Lyme if her Vet thinks there is even a remote chance. The only other problem she has had and this was a few months back.....she had an eye infection which was treated with antibiotics. It was assumed that maybe she had been poked by a branch (or something) while on a walk, but we really don't know. It cleared up with the antibiotics, but I've noticed that since then she has had very mild clear discharge from her eyes (especially the one that was originally very inflamed).....something she didn't have before. The Vet seemed to think this mild discharge might be allergy with all the pollen around right now. I really doubt there is any connection between that and her current lameness problem, but just thought I would mention it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I wonder if she could have injured her neck or something? Sometimes, a disc/spinal pain can "pinch" on a nerve causing sudden lameness. Sometimes, an injury to the brachial plexus (congregate of nerves in the armpit) can also cause this to happen. Poor baby...you'll have to let us know what the vet finds during your appointment.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

labby is offline Senior Member

How old is Dee?

As I said in your post in LC, anytime I hear of sudden lameness, I think Lyme. I've been treated twice (before they thought it was a big deal in MI) and Remy was treated too when she suddenly became lame in the front after I had been diagnosed. She was the only dog with me at my friend's house where they think I picked it up.

Laura

Csully123 is offline Senior Member

What ever it it please keep us all posted! Wish you the best!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover
    I wonder if she could have injured her neck or something? Sometimes, a disc/spinal pain can "pinch" on a nerve causing sudden lameness. Sometimes, an injury to the brachial plexus (congregate of nerves in the armpit) can also cause this to happen. Poor baby...you'll have to let us know what the vet finds during your appointment.
    Funny you should menton brachial plexus because I've been having a problem caused by this for the past few months. That I know of she hasn't had anything happen that should have caused this problem, but I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be something traumatic. SU takes her for a walk every morning, but she's on a long-line and it seems unlikely that she could have injured herself without him seeing it happen. He checked her paws right away thinking that she must have stepped on something. It was like one minute she was fine and the next her leg almost gave out underneath her. Then within a few strides she seemed fine again... and he continued on thinking she'd just tripped on something. He said she was fine for the rest of her walk and he just assumed she had tripped or possibly stepped on a sharp little rock or something (after checking that there was nothing stuck in her paw pads). She seemed okay when she got home but she's been mostly in the house, so not jogging around much. Then this morning he didn't make it more than a few houses down the street when it started. The puzzling thing to me is that she'll walk a ways and things seem to look fine and then bang...major lameness....then okay...then lameness. SU walked her up and down past me a few times so I could get a better look and in that time she went lame and recovered about three times. It doesn't seem particularly sore to touch. I can't find any lumps or bumps and no obvious swelling....though I'm going to have another look. The only thing that she does do occasionally when I forget to put the gate up is tear down the stairs....but it's a bit of stretch to think she might have injured herself doing that. I mainly put the gate up because I don't want her doing anything that might put stress on her hips.

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    How old is Dee?

As I said in your post in LC, anytime I hear of sudden lameness, I think Lyme. I've been treated twice (before they thought it was a big deal in MI) and Remy was treated too when she suddenly became lame in the front after I had been diagnosed. She was the only dog with me at my friend's house where they think I picked it up.
    She's just four and has never had any problem with her front end. Lyme would be really unusual here, but anything is possible I guess. Laura, would it not be more of a constant lameness though with Lyme rather than the leg being okay for a short bit and then giving out and then recovering etc.? I'm thinking it gave out when she started to jog rather than walk, but I'm not sure. I'll have to get SU to walk her past me again and have another look. It doesn't seem to be happening in the house where she is just strolling around....and she just jogged down the hallway and nothing. Healthwise she seems fine....no other symptoms.

I just got a call from my Vet's office. He's had an emergency surgery come up and had to postpone my appointment, so I can't get in until tomorrow now. Oh well, at least it will give me a bit more time to observe it.

Thanks guys for replying. I'm really worried about this. Any other comments/ideas appreciated.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Is there a chance of OCD? I'm wondering if a bit of cartilage may be trying to lodge in that joint maybe this is the cause of the on and off lameness???????? Has she had Elbow and shoulder xrays?

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    Is there a chance of OCD? I'm wondering if a bit of cartilage may be trying to lodge in that joint maybe this is the cause of the on and off lameness???????? Has she had Elbow and shoulder xrays?
    Up until yesterday everything was fine.....not even a hint of lameness in the front., so whatever is causing this it came on suddenly. I'm almost sure my Vet x-rayed elbows and shoulders at the same time he did her hips, but I'll ask when I go in tomorrow. I know he said everything else was okay, but he was specifically looking at hips at the time. A bit of cartlidge does kind of make sense considering it seems fine and then a few steps later it almost buckles, but could this come out of nowhere....not a sign of anything one day and then sudden on and off extreme lameness the next? Absolutely no problem prior to yesterday.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I hear you about the sudden lameness. Reggie started limping with no known cause or specific injury to speak of.

I wonder if she could have injured her neck or something? Sometimes, a disc/spinal pain can "pinch" on a nerve causing sudden lameness.
    Interesting thought. That's what happened to Reggie. But first we ruled out an injury to that leg, and then lyme or other parasite. Did the vet get any reaction to manipulating the leg, etc? That's one thing that puzzled my vet at first. Reggie was definitely limping but when she would manipulate the leg, no show of pain at all. It was when the Orthovet touched his neck that he flinched.

Good Luck...

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast