opinion on this dog food

Thread: opinion on this dog food

jimdiane is offline Member

Defaultopinion on this dog food

Hi, been a while since I posted. Just wondering what you guys-gals think of this food we feed our dogs. I get it from my work and I think it is pretty good, thier stools are firm and healthy
    http://www.presidentschoice.ca/Pets/...rmula/catid/42

the analysis is as follows:
    crude protien....................27%
    crude fat.........................16%
    crude fibre........................3 %
    moisture...........................10%
    calcium............................1.5%
    phosphorus........................1%
    omega 6 fatty acids............2%
    omega 3 fatty acids............2%

calorie content: 3,565 kcal/kg 445 kcal/cup

our dogs are not that active, Charlie(74 pounds) is our 3 year old lab and gets 2 cups a day and Blue(38 pounds) or Australian sheppard getd 1 cup a day

thanx for any input!!

jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: opinion on this dog food

I like this site for unbiased food reviews:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...t=1550&cat=all

That food has more grains than I'd like, but it's not the worst food in the world...

jimdiane is offline Member

Thanx for the great website, very informative. I think we will try the Blue Buffalo Wilderness,is available at our petsmart, not cheap $53 for a 13 kg bag Has anyone had any experience with it? Charlie is not an active Lab, but I think it will be better for him
    thanx
    jim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Are you happy with how your dogs look on the food you're feeding? If the stools are good, the coats are good and you're not running to the vet because of itchies, ear infections and the like, then why change it? I'm a firm believer in feeding what works and not trying to fix something that isn't broke.

I've tried the "better" foods with my crew. They didn't work. I went back to what I was feeding and it does work for my dogs. Don't be mislead just because a website or someone tells you your food isn't very good. It just might be very good for your dog, and isn't that what we all want?

Laura

LabLoverNmiami is offline Junior Member

Hello. I think dog food is a personal opinion and choice of every dog owner. Every dog is different and some foods work well for some and not for others. As long as the food you are feeding has a good ingredient list and you are happy with it- I'd go with it. I rescued my Angel a month and a half ago -she came to me flea bitten and with very dry skin and ringworm etc.
    I first started her on Pedigree ( which I now call Grocery store shelf garbage). I now feed her a mixture of Blue Buffalo Organics and Blue Wilderness. In addition to that I add 2 tablespoons of Blue Buffalo canned food and a dollup of plain white yogurt (for her skin) and feed her a scrambled egg twice a week. In just a month and a half I cannot beleive the improvement in her skin and coat and she has filled out and gained muscle where she was on the puny side when I got her. Bottom line, I feel good about the way I feed Angel and what I choose to feed her, the vet can't argue because she is thriving. She is my baby and I'll do what Ithink best for her. 8)

blaisberg is offline Member

Hi,
    I'm a displaced Canadian and it feels terribly unpatriotic to criticize anything President's Choice. I love Loblaws! But, I am going to have to take a stand that the any food you can buy in a grocery store still sorely lacks in the quality you should want for your dog. I don't understand why you have to go to specialty stores to get good quality. I mean, humans get great products from grocery stores so what's their problem with stocking a decent dog food? For those who feed raw, I guess the answer is that they do. But for those who are on kibble, I've yet to find any that don't load up on corn.
    I've spent a disproportionate amount of time researching dog nutrition and the links between diet and health. With the price of gas, I hesitate to recommend another trip to another store to get dog food, but the problem is the grocery stores who choose to carry only carb-laden food (aka cheap filler). I realize many dog owners are concerned about the overal cost of food, particularly big dog owners who might eat large quantities. Just remember that the cheaper the food (not just the price, but the quality of ingredients), the more you have to feed. Check out the price per cup/calories per cup. And get the best you can afford - you'll save in trips to the vet -- ear infections alone from corn!
    Hope I didn't sound like I was lecturing. Corn: bad!!!! Loblaws: awesome!
    Jocelyn

Dani is offline Senior Member

I agree with Labby. If it's working, then stick to it. I would not personally choose this food, but if the dog is doing well on it, don't needlessly put them through a food rollercoaster because of what a website says.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

ceasersmom is offline Senior Member

I agree it varies depending on the dog. Here is a link to help better understand the rules for dog food labels... It helped me narrow my options.

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petlabel.htm

Gus adopted 11/2008
    Ceaser adopted 4/2008
    Heidi adopted 4/2006