Bordetella Vaccine opinions???

Thread: Bordetella Vaccine opinions???

goodguy is offline Senior Member

DefaultBordetella Vaccine opinions???

Hi Everyone,
    Sami is past due for her bordetella shot... Everytime I'm in my vet's office I refuse to get it. They ask everytime and everytime I refuse. My reason being is, she was current on her bordetella not to long ago and still contracted a nasty case of kennel cough... Now I see no reason to vaccinate my dog with this anymore. If she's current on the shot and still gets KC, why am I injecting her with something that has so many different strains that she still may contract it even with the vaccine...
    I'm looking for opinions on whether you are for or against this shot.. Why and what are your experiences with this? I just want the best for my girl...
    thanks for your opinions

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bordetella Vaccine opinions???

It's basically worthless. It's like the flu shot. Too many strains for it to really work. I haven't given a bordetella shot in 7 years and haven't had a case of kennel cough since then. The last dog who got it was Libby and she got it for puppy class. She ended up with kc twice that year. Nobody else in the house did.

Laura

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

I've never given it to my guys and never will. The vet I work for only does bordetella vaccines in dogs that are required to have it (by the kennel).
    Alicia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

goodguy is offline Senior Member

Cool, because the vet techs and receptionists always look at me like I'm crazy when I say no... I guess they're just used to everyone going along with everything they suggest... She's never boarded or anything so there's no need for it...
    thanks for you opinions keep em coming if you like!

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

I no longer give bordetella either. Henry was vaccinated when he was younger (requirement for daycare) and he still wound up with KC. Granted, he had a much milder course of it than the two unvaccinated dogs who brought it into daycare, but still.

I don't ever have to worry about him being boarded outside of family and our obedience schools don't require it.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Dani is offline Senior Member

I used to give bordatella to Rider because of the rescues that were in and out of here. Don't any more and haven't for 2 years now. Rookie got KC when he was a pup and hasn't had it since. No bordatella here...not even for the rescues...but they usually get the vaccine when they get admitted to the shelter.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    It's basically worthless. It's like the flu shot. Too many strains for it to really work. I haven't given a bordetella shot in 7 years and haven't had a case of kennel cough since then. The last dog who got it was Libby and she got it for puppy class. She ended up with kc twice that year. Nobody else in the house did.

I had asked my breeder about it and this was pretty much how she explained it. Shane caught a slight case of it during our CGC class and we had to quit with only 2 weeks left. I'm just glad he didn't have it really bad.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)