"Loyall" Active Adult - thoughts?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Loyall" Active Adult - thoughts?

markh58 is offline Junior Member

Default"Loyall" Active Adult - thoughts?

I'm still going through the 1000+ options and cross-eyed from reading labels . I like what I'm learning but have one more to ask about. "Loyall" my feedstore mgr told me to check it out. You can have a look at: www.loyallpetfood.com - (products; "Active Adult") Looks pretty good, and at $25.00 per 40lb bag it's 1/2 the cost, anybody have any experience or thoughts?
    Again really appreciate the support and guidence.
    Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: "Loyall" Active Adult - thoughts?

Hi Mark! Welcome to the forum!

This is a great site when it comes to learning about dog foods and what to look for:
    http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....e=labelinfo101
    http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....betterproducts
    http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....badingredients

Of the 3 foods that you've been asking about recently (Blue Buffalo, Blackwoods, Loyall), I've only heard of Blue Buffalo, but after reading the ingredients of the other two, I would say that Blue Buffalo is the better food. This is why (this is my own personal opinion):

1. Blue Buffalo actually lists an identifiable protein source as its first ingredient (deboned chicken) whereas the other two list "poultry by-product meal" or "poultry meal"... what kind of poultry is it? Chicken? Turkey? Duck? Goose?

2. Poultry by-product could be anything from feathers to feet to beaks.

3. The ingredients that are listed before the first fat source generally make up the majority of the product.
    Blue Buffalo (large breed): deboned chicken, chicken meal, whole ground brown rice, whole ground barley, oatmeal, whole potatoes, tomato pomace, chicken fat...
    Blackwoods (2000): poultry meal, ground rice, corn meal, chicken fat...
    Loyall (active adult): poultry by-product meal, whole wheat, wheat flour, poultry fat...

Something to consider... cheaper foods tend to have more fillers, and therefore you may have to feed more of it per day as compared to a more expensive food, with less fillers, which you may feed less of... it may balance out price-wise in the end... you know?

I personally wouldn't feed any of those foods if my dog were starving... mostly because he is intolerant to chicken, turkey, corn, wheat and other grains, but even if he weren't, I still wouldn't feed Blackwoods or Loyall.

Good luck!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above. Only I don't think by products are bad at all, but I wouldn't want that to be the only protein in there!!! certainly not have it first on the list of ingredients.

I don't know a ton about dog food but here are some tips I personally go by, for what it's worth:
    - named protein meal as the first ingredient. (ex: CHICKEN MEAL, Turkey meal...).
    - if the named meat as a first ingredient is not a "meal" I want another protein listed in the next 3 ingredients. Once you remove the water from the meat (ex: chicken) it goes wayyy down on the list of ingredients.
    - not too many ingredients overall
    - I don't like parts of grains, give me a full grain please!
    - Personally I am feeding grain free foods, but it's not for all dogs. Grain are fine, I prefer rices.
    - If I had a puppy I'd learn more about the content %'s but to be frank, i haven't botehred too much on that at this point.
    - I don't want 100 different kinds of grains and oats. Keep the food simple please!
    - no bht

Oh - any food that advertised glucosamine - remember there isn't enough in there to do anything. Even a senior food. If you want to supplement at some point do it separately from the food.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom

This is not true.

Poultry By-Product Meal - consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered poultry, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

About by-products: It's not meat, but the organ matter from the chicken, the guts, liver, heart, brains, intestines, stomach etc. I think this is a human thing, because those organs are always the first to be eaten by wild canids, wild felines, and pretty much any other. They don't go for the 'meaty haunch', they go for the gut and pull out all that gooey stuff and eat it.

Meat byproducts in dog food by law do not include hair, horn, teeth or hooves, feathers or manure. It does include organs, including the lungs, spleen, intestines, brains, kidneys and liver, and in the case of chicken byproducts will include the head and feet. About 50 percent of a slaughtered cow will not go for human use, most of this leftover goes into the pet food industry, not because it's unhealthy. How many of us rush out to the grocery store to eat a daily meal with tripe (stomach), chitlins (intestines), and scrambled brains? Believe it or not, while organ meats are gross to think of eating to humans, they are also extremely high in natural vitamins and minerals.

From the FDA site: Some people prefer to pass up animal by-products, which are proteins that have not been heat processed (unrendered) and may contain heads, feet, viscera and other animal parts not particularly appetizing. But protein quality of by-products sometimes is better than that from muscle meat.

Oops, wanted to add that I prefer the meat be defined more than just poultry. I'd want to see which bird specifically it came from, turkey or chicken or buzzard or whatever.

Laura

Meat byproducts in dog food by law do not include hair, horn, teeth or hooves, feathers or manure. It does include organs, including the lungs, spleen, intestines, brains, kidneys and liver, and in the case of chicken byproducts will include the head and feet. About 50 percent of a slaughtered cow will not go for human use, most of this leftover goes into the pet food industry, not because it's unhealthy. How many of us rush out to the grocery store to eat a daily meal with tripe (stomach), chitlins (intestines), and scrambled brains? Believe it or not, while organ meats are gross to think of eating to humans, they are also extremely high in natural vitamins and minerals. Sorry to be slow...but what I think you're saying is that it's oaky for the 1st ingredient to be "Poultry-Meal" (better to have a specific "bird" listed) due to the fact that it's the "guts" of the bird which, if left in the wild, the dogs would prefer to eat anyway?

From the FDA site: Some people prefer to pass up animal by-products, which are proteins that have not been heat processed (unrendered) and may contain heads, feet, viscera and other animal parts not particularly appetizing. But protein quality of by-products sometimes is better than that from muscle meat....again, seems to be prefered by the animal if given a choice. (?)

Oops, wanted to add that I prefer the meat be defined more than just poultry. I'd want to see which bird specifically it came from, turkey or chicken or buzzard or whatever....Also what does it matter which poultry it is as long as it's some bird? Pls understand I'm not challanging the advice, I'm asking only because I want to be able to speak intelligently when I'm talking to a shop or feed store owner.

Thx again for taking the time to shallow out my learning curve.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom

This is not true.

Poultry By-Product Meal - consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered poultry, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

About by-products: It's not meat, but the organ matter from the chicken, the guts, liver, heart, brains, intestines, stomach etc. I think this is a human thing, because those organs are always the first to be eaten by wild canids, wild felines, and pretty much any other. They don't go for the 'meaty haunch', they go for the gut and pull out all that gooey stuff and eat it.

Meat byproducts in dog food by law do not include hair, horn, teeth or hooves, feathers or manure. It does include organs, including the lungs, spleen, intestines, brains, kidneys and liver, and in the case of chicken byproducts will include the head and feet. About 50 percent of a slaughtered cow will not go for human use, most of this leftover goes into the pet food industry, not because it's unhealthy. How many of us rush out to the grocery store to eat a daily meal with tripe (stomach), chitlins (intestines), and scrambled brains? Believe it or not, while organ meats are gross to think of eating to humans, they are also extremely high in natural vitamins and minerals.

From the FDA site: Some people prefer to pass up animal by-products, which are proteins that have not been heat processed (unrendered) and may contain heads, feet, viscera and other animal parts not particularly appetizing. But protein quality of by-products sometimes is better than that from muscle meat.

Oops, wanted to add that I prefer the meat be defined more than just poultry. I'd want to see which bird specifically it came from, turkey or chicken or buzzard or whatever.
    My main issue with by-products is not what they are. I feed my dogs "by-products" all the time. I would go so far as to say that "by-products" make up the majority of their diet.

My issue is that they are not controlled, and *could be* any number of things, or just one thing. If they were an equal mix of bone, organs, gizzards, cartilage, etc., fine. But there's absolutely no guarantee of *what* that mix really is. You could get a load of by-product that is just feet. Or just feet and beaks. Or any combination of the above, really, depending on what part of the factory that particular batch is gathered from. And since the nutritional analysis isn't gathered by testing every single batch of food, you could get quite a bit of variance in the nutrients between batches, that may or may not be reflected on the bag.

The "by-products" my dogs eat are strictly controlled, I know exactly which parts they're getting and I can adjust those parts based on what sort of nutritional value is needed at any given time.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

My issue is that they are not controlled, and *could be* any number of things, or just one thing. This makes alot of since...if I ask will a manufacture tell me how they monitor/control the mix of the "meal"?

The "by-products" my dogs eat are strictly controlled, I know exactly which parts they're getting and I can adjust those parts based on what sort of nutritional value is needed at any given time. Are your dogs on a raw diet...how do you control the mix of by-products?

Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by markh58
    My issue is that they are not controlled, and *could be* any number of things, or just one thing. This makes alot of since...if I ask will a manufacture tell me how they monitor/control the mix of the "meal"?

The "by-products" my dogs eat are strictly controlled, I know exactly which parts they're getting and I can adjust those parts based on what sort of nutritional value is needed at any given time. Are your dogs on a raw diet...how do you control the mix of by-products?

Thx!
    My dogs are on a raw diet, yes.

I'm not anti-kibble by any means, however, I just think that the better kibbles have more control over what goes into their food. If I were to feed kibble again, I would not feed one with by-products, for the reasons listed above. I think there are MUCH better choices out there.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Quote Originally Posted by markh58

Thx!
    My dogs are on a raw diet, yes.

I'm not anti-kibble by any means, however, I just think that the better kibbles have more control over what goes into their food. If I were to feed kibble again, I would not feed one with by-products, for the reasons listed above. I think there are MUCH better choices out there.
    I'm not in a place to go the raw diet route...so I'd love to hear any reommendations you could give. I know it's not one size fits all, but guidence from a knowlageable source is always appreciated.

I'm a big Orijen fan, but I've also heard good things about Innova EVO and Taste of the Wild. I would definitely go grain-free if it's available to you.

Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast