don't know how to describe....diaper rash?

Thread: don't know how to describe....diaper rash?

moloo is offline Member

Defaultdon't know how to describe....diaper rash?

ok....my 8 month old has what can either be described as diaper rash or an allergy....It seems to clear up in a day or so but then comes back...I;m not sure what I can put on it as she can get at that area? any ideas?
    I've tried neosporin so far...it's red and somewhat swollen.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: don't know how to describe....diaper rash?

Below is a copy of a post I've made several times:

My yellow Puff used to get red zits over her belly and I didn't realize that they morphed into brownish splotches on her pink skin because at first I mistook the brown for smears of dirt rather than scabs. (Many were close to where her privates would be if she had any)

We "vet doctor" at K-State's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl. Our excellent vet there, a diplomate (highest level) in internal medicine, prescribed antibiotics the first time and also the next 2X recurrences shortly after. Each time, she took skin scrapings, had them lab tested, and said it was a staph infection.

On Puff's 4th time in about 5 months, I asked to see a dermatologist. She concurred it was staph, got a detailed description of Puff's typical day, and decided it was most probably caused by Puff's running in the nature preserve early each morning, getting dew on her belly, and the dew picking up pollen, dust, etc., which caused the irritation and staph.

She Rx'ed a 4th round of antibiotics but after that had me use a medicated shampoo (benzoyl peroxide) daily on Puff's belly, then 3x/week as may be needed.

That really helped and we've had no problem the last 4 years. Also, I began taking Puff swimming after her early morning walks (which flushes off pollen and detritus) and thoroughly drying her (which also helps and which she likes better than the swimming -- she considers me to be her "Sweetish Masseur" )

Don't know if it's the same but could be ??

Puff has a return of the brown splotches so we're back to daily Benzoyl Peroxide belly shampoos.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

moloo is offline Member

don't know bob...I've never seen this before...I thought maybe she was getting up too fast after urinating anf maybe scalding herself (hence the wipes) but now I'm not sure..I called the vet and spoke to the tech this morning...I'm going to see what develops this week (hopefully nothing)...

It's not brown, it's red and swollen almost like a light case of poison ivy or something but not quite as bad...
    the strange thing is it will clear up and then come back in a day or so......

odd -

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Does she have an innie or an outie?

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ins-outs.html
    <br />Oregon

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Sounds like the staph infection Mocha had. It cleared up really easy with a special shampoo.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

moloo is offline Member

Thanks for the reply! She has an outtie but if you look at picture 2 (innie) from the woodhaven site you see the folds of skin around the outtie? that's what's red....it was fine last night but red this morning....I put some cornstarch on to help keep it dry....and I've been using baby wipes after she comes in from doing her business...if it doesn't clear up by the weekend I'll make an appt to see the vet....

moloo is offline Member

vulvar pyoderma......vet gave me a tube of ointment....hopefully all will clear up in a few days....