IMO, it's past time to stop dissing Science Diet dog foods

Thread: IMO, it's past time to stop dissing Science Diet dog foods

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultIMO, it's past time to stop dissing Science Diet dog foods

Many, many people on this JL forum routinely diss/disrespect Hill's Science Diet for using preservatives recently shown to increase the incidence of cancer, for having too many fillers, using corn, etc. This has been going on for the 6 years I've been a member of this Just Labs forums in its many iterations/versions.

While some of that was deserved five or so years ago, since then the ingredients in Science Diets have changed although the criticisms have not and possibly seem to have increased or become an accepted common belief, almost a JL mantra to many, to be expressed and applauded without question.

This recent statement is representative of many:
    ....Science Diet is loaded with fillers and other bad things. The vets push it which doesn't make sense...
    It IS true that Science Diet continued to use some preservatives of dry food that were found to increase cancer risks past the time that many other manufacturers stopped using those same ingredients and began using other preservatives. Ditto for many ingredients such as corn.

But they no longer do.

Below is the ingredient list for a popular, current mainstream Science Diet (Nature's Best) adult dry dog food.

Ingredients
    Chicken, Brown Rice, Whole Grain Wheat, Cracked Pearled Barley, Soybean Meal, Chicken Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Whole Grain Oats, Apples, Cranberries, Soybean Oil, Peas, Carrots, Dried Beet Pulp, Iodized Salt, Flaxseed, Broccoli, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.
    kcals = 377/cup

Many vets push SD for several reasons -- recommending and selling dog food (& other items) provides profit and income for vets. Hill's from time to time has provided incentives to those vets who increased their sales of Hill's products. And Hill's PD (Prescription Diet) line is a life saver for dogs with certain medical conditions, both temporary & chronic, in a variety unmatched by any other line.

Vets also push Science Diet because Hill's Science Diet (a division of Colgate-Palmolive) provides many scholarships for veterinary students, awards, grants to vet schools for auditoriums, labs, etc. No other company courts vet schools and vets to the extent Hill's has for decades. As a result, some appreciative gratitude and collaboration is reciprocated.

I do not feed Hill's -- I feed Kirkland C&R because it's good and it's cheaper. However, if I could get Hill's Science Diet "Nature's Best C&R" at a cheaper price than my Kirkland, and if Puff accepted it as I think she would, I'd not hesitate at all to use it.

Below are the current ingredients of Kirkland C&R (Kirkland is sold only at Costco warehouse membership clubs, the food is fairly similar to "Diamond Naturals C&R" and made by the same company):

Ingredients
    Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearl barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols & Vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrot, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chickory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, Vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, chondroitin sulfate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

393 kcals/cup

Can anyone responsibly and truthfully argue that Science Diet's "Nature's Best C&R" is significantly more loaded with fillers and other bad things than similar varieties of Nestle's ProPlan, or P&G's Iams & Eukanuba, or Mars' Nutro & Royal Canin, or any of the other popular, upper mainstream lines by major dog food manufacturers?

IMO, it's time to catch up with the changing times. Fair is fair.

[Some very minor editing to correct a misspelling & awkward grammar.]

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: IMO, it's past time to stop dissing Science Diet dog foods

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.

IMO, it's time to catch up with the changing times.
    I 100% agree with you there, Bob.

Personally, I wouldn't feed my dogs Science diet if they were starving. But, that goes for ProPlan, Iams & Eukanuba, Nutro & Royal Canin (as well as many others) as well.

I agree that it's no better or worse than the other brands you listed. I've always kind of wondered why proplan is raved about when it's on the same level as many of the others that get "dissed".

And the necessary disclaimer: That's all JMO.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

labby is offline Senior Member

If it's working for someone who are we to tell them to stop? Feed what works is my motto.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Hill's Prescription Diet d/d (potato and duck) is the ONLY kibble, when fed on its own, that gives Henry nice poops, nice ears and no itchies.

So far, I've found that I can mix in other kibbles (Orijen, Fromms) up to about half and half, before he gets the squishies.

I am the poster child for trying to find the most holistic, most organic, most healthy, best food out there for Henry, and time and time again have been disappointed and frustrated to find that the kibble which looks amazing and perfect and ideal on paper squishes out his other end like there's no tomorrow, or gives him gungy ears, or the itchies.

I cringe a bit when I read the ingredients of d/d but if this is what he does well on, then this is what he does well on. It's reconciling myself to that which is difficult.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

doglover12 Guest

my golden retriever Einstein and my Chihuahua Rascal are on hills science diet light adult i find it has brought Einsteins coat colour back,he coat feels nicer not so course no more. His coat is also shinner then before, same with Rascal they also don't have strands of hair flying everywhere. I find its doing great for them, Amber is getting supercoat puppy and is doing great on it, I'm thinking of trying my other 2 dogs on it.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

I agree with you Bob too. Hill's Sience Diet light mature chicken is what Emma gets. She's doing great on it and I won't change to another kibble ever again.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Dani is offline Senior Member

Bob, I wouldn't feed Science Diet on purpose, but our shelter feeds it to the dogs we pull so in order to minimize the trauma that they are already going through with losing their homes and being in the shelter and then moving to a foster home, we often times continue to feed it. I hate it. I don't like the ingredients and nothing you can say will change it. But I do agree with Laura, feed what works. I don't need to "get with the times" I wouldn't feed a lot of other foods just like Kate either.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003