Blackwood Pet Food

Thread: Blackwood Pet Food

markh58 is offline Junior Member

DefaultBlackwood Pet Food

Has anyone had any experience with Blackwood Pet Food ?
    I'm doing research for what are the best choices for my boys and would really appreciate any help.

http://www.blackwoodpetfood.com/aboutus.htm

Thx,
    Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jackie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Blackwood Pet Food

From their website: Things we DO NOT consider in any of our diets are: soy products, wheat products, chemical preservatives, artificial colors, flavors, fillers, or by-product meals.

I find it interesting that they generally avoid wheat, but use corn in large amounts, given the the reason to avoid either is that some dogs are sensitive/allergic to them. And I've read that in general corn is harder to digest than wheat. I really don't like that "poultry meal" is the main ingredient - not "chicken meal" or "turkey meal" or "duck meal" - so you don't really know what you're feeding, and it could change between batches.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Blackwood Pet Food

JackieG's comment was on the mark.

I found their description to be very enticing and appealing, conveying the message that buyers and users may be paying a higher price but, in return, they are getting and feeding something uniquely above average and top-drawer.

But, in looking over their guaranteed analysis, they report only Protein, Fat, Moisture, Omega 6, Omega 3 whereas my Kirkland C&R (or its L&R, or any of "Diamond Naturals") also reports Calcium, Phosporous, Zinc, Selenium, Vitamin E, Glucosamine, Chondroitn percentages in addition to those few Blackwood gives.

Their recommending their food for Large Breed Puppies without reporting its Calcium & Phosphous contents is not good or appropriate.

They do not include any statement re: AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials), neither that they follow AAFCO guidelines and standards for ingredients (which is the less rigorous hurdle) nor the more rigorous AAFCO one, that they have conducted long term feeding tests with this food and it provides complete and balanced nutrition for the life stage specified.

Also, while they have a chart showing recommended cups of that dog food to feed according to various weights of dogs, they do not say what the kcalorie per cup content is for that food.

Because of the issues JackieG mentioned plus these I've added, I'd choose other foods if at all possible.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748