Vaccination Protocol - Again UPDATE & questions in my last post :)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaccination Protocol - Again UPDATE & questions in my last post :)

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultVaccination Protocol - Again UPDATE & questions in my last post :)

Last June I talked to my Vet (while in for vaccinations) regarding the somewhat newer protocol of only vaccinating every 3 years with the core vaccines. He was fine with this....then today I received a reminder in the mail that shots were due this month. I guess he is still following a one year protocol and these reminders are automatically generated. The downside is that the local kennels still require annual vaccinations. I have to leave her in the kennels in a few weeks to travel to a medical appointment. I guess I will make another trip into the Vet and talk to him, but it's frustrating because judging by the dog forums I visit almost nobody is doing annual vaccines now.

For those who do Bordatella (the shot type not the nasal drops) is that a one year? I understand the Lepto is only good for a year max. It was in the combo shot last year, but isn't at all common where we live, so perhaps unneccessary. Rabies is every three years here. Anything else that needs doing annually?

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vaccination Protocol - Again

I believe bordetella (regardless of intranasal or IM), is an annual revaccination. Same with lepto.

Good article here: http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...s06Revised.pdf

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I get those reminder cards too. My vet said that they're generated automatically, so to just ignore them. So they just go in the garbage.

Have you asked the kennels if they will accept titres? A lot of the boarding facilities around here do.

I don't think that anything really needs to be done annually, personally. There's tons of reactions to the lepto vaccine, so I'm not doing that one. If they get lepto (which is pretty rare around here), it's treatable.

I've actually just started to really research vaccines, and I'm a little disturbed by what I'm reading. A good book that really explains clearly about what vaccines are and why they are potentially dangerous is "Why is cancer killing our pets" by Deborah Straw. It's very well researched and easy to read. I will admit that I really didn't understand *why* there was such hype about vaccinations before I read the book.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

everydog is offline Senior Member

Vaccines for bacterial diseases like lepto and bordetella are only covered for 6-12 months, unlike the viral diseases which "may" achieve lifetime immunity.

Felicia - Thanks for the link to AAHA. I had a quick glance, but I'll go back and read through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I get those reminder cards too.
    So Kate, your Vet does the annual routine too unless someone questions it? I can't imagine that many people are questioning it here or you would think the Vet would change their protocol.

Have you asked the kennels if they will accept titres? A lot of the boarding facilities around here do.
    There is some controversy as to whether titres are accurate. I did talk to my Vet about them awhile back and I also read an article about it. I don't think my Vet feels (and apparently he's not alone on this) that titres are any guarantee of immunity. I'll ask about it again though.

I've actually just started to really research vaccines, and I'm a little disturbed by what I'm reading.
    I worry about what is causing autoimmune problems in dogs too.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Top Of The Hill
    Felicia - Thanks for the link to AAHA. I had a quick glance, but I'll go back and read through it.

I get those reminder cards too.
    So Kate, your Vet does the annual routine too unless someone questions it? I can't imagine that many people are questioning it here or you would think the Vet would change their protocol.
    Yup. But they are uber-coventional/allopathic. I really LOVE my vet, but don't like the clinic she works for at ALL. :whatever:

There is some controversy as to whether titres are accurate. I did talk to my Vet about them awhile back and I also read an article about it. I don't think my Vet feels (and apparently he's not alone on this) that titres are any guarantee of immunity. I'll ask about it again though.
    They're definitely not a guarantee (what is?), but they're something.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Kate - Re doing titres. That's true.

I wonder how many Vets are still following the annual protocol. From reading various forums it seems like not very many, but maybe that's because the people that read the forums and post are more in the know about these things. I mean I'm the type of person that questions things, but a lot of people probably just continue to go with the flow.

Our old vets in St.Catharines were still doing annual revaccination. I had to fight with them NOT to vaccinate Henery every year. Fortunately, when we moved here to London, I was delighted to find that our current vet had gone to the 3 year protocol several years ago. Phew!

Henry would be due for his distemper and parvo this year (he was last vaccinated for them 3 years ago) but I'm going to do titers. He's had so many issues with adverse reactions to vaccines and GI problems (some say these are linked) that I just can't take that chance and just automatically revacc. him, even though it's been 3 years.

Fortunately our obedience school accepts titers and I don't have to worry about ever boarding him (plenty of friends/family who will take him).

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

baby belle is offline Senior Member

So what you are all saying is to do the first year booster then after that only do them every 3 years? my pup is almost 8 months old so I take her in at a year then 3 years later..?

Yep. Puppy series, then 1 year boosters, then every 3 years from there.

This article has several different vaccination "plans", from a minimal approach to a maximum approach:
    http://www.fallriverlabs.com/Conside...for%20Dogs.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast