Maybe going in heat?

Thread: Maybe going in heat?

Chappygirl is offline Junior Member

DefaultMaybe going in heat?

My 17mo old lab, Riley, is acting so weird...am wondering if how she is acting can be attributed to going in heat. She went into her first heat last November, and at that time really showed no signs at all except for the swelling and then the bleeding. I hadn't really noticed much of any swelling but today starting a few hours ago she started panting, and running around nervously like she is afraid. If I sit down she tries to climb up on me to sit on me. She won't just lay down and relax. She will even shake like she is scared or nervous (note: she is not a nervous dog). She is following me everywhere...like right now she is under my desk between my legs panting and shaking!!! When I talk to her or pet her or play with her, she will oblige and wag her tail...albeit nervously! The only other time I see her act like this way is when there is a loud thunderstorm...and it is as nice as it could be outside today! Since it is exactly 7 months since her last heat do you think this could be the reason for her behavior? I'm worried about her!

Thank you for any advice you can give!
    Dawn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Maybe going in heat?

What was her behavior like the first time around? If it was nothing like this I"d talk to a vet soon. Shaking is NOT normal behavior (as far as I know, hopefully breeders used to females in heat will clarify). My friends who have had females in heat never talked about any shaking of fear (just being ubber cuddly and demand alot more attention).

Just curious - are you planning on spaying her later on?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

labby is offline Senior Member

They can turn into dogs you don't recognize when they're thinking of coming into season sometimes. Things that never bothered them before could start bothering them. They could start peeing in the house. Some get really moody, some you never see any changes.

The clingy part sounds like hormones. I've never had one shake though.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chappygirl is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    What was her behavior like the first time around? If it was nothing like this I"d talk to a vet soon. Shaking is NOT normal behavior (as far as I know, hopefully breeders used to females in heat will clarify). My friends who have had females in heat never talked about any shaking of fear (just being ubber cuddly and demand alot more attention).

Just curious - are you planning on spaying her later on?
    The first time around the only signs that stand out in my mind were the swelling and then bleeding.

We actually had planned to spay her last March as it would have been 4 months after her 1st heat, BUT ended up in a whirlwind of house selling, purchasing a new home, and moving twice in the months of Feb-May....soooooo.....needless to say it did not get done. After this go round we will definitely be spaying her!