Proheart 6 -- USA Today Editorial

Thread: Proheart 6 -- USA Today Editorial

Kris L. Christine is offline Senior Member

DefaultProheart 6 -- USA Today Editorial

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2008/...-dru.html#more
    USA Today Editorial Board June 17, 2008

Our view on drug safety: FDA vet tracks dog deaths, gets smeared in the process -- Tale of ProHeart 6 raises questions about who calls the shots at agency.

"The most troubling aspect of this is the effect it will inevitably have on other FDA safety officers. After seeing what can happen when someone gathers evidence that a drug is unsafe, what safety officers wouldn't think twice about risking their careers by antagonizing powerful companies?

That's a terribly dangerous way to run a drug safety process that can ultimately mean life or death to animals and humans alike."

Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee
    The Rabies Challenge Fund
    www.RabiesChallengeFund.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Proheart 6 -- USA Today Editorial

There is no way on God's green earth that this will EVER be used on my dogs. They should have kept it off the market. Are people so smurfin' lazy they can't toss a pill in their dog's dish once a month? Why on earth would you want to dump 6 months worth of medicine in an animal? What if they have a reaction to it? Sheesh.

Laura

georgie is offline Senior Member

I guess being a nurse...I am always very cautious about new medications. I like to wait & see their effect over a period of years. When ProHeart 6 first came out our old vet (do not go there anymore) wanted to give it to our last lab. I said no....I was skeptical about something that is injected & lasts up to 6 months. Where is ALL that medicine for 6 months? I said no...I will stick to Interceptor. Well he got kind of huffy with me.

It was maybe a little over a year later I started reading about dog's dying & having health issues after being on Pro Heart 6. Wasn't it pulled for awhile?

Anyway....sometimes you have to go with your gut. Like Labby said.....what if there is a reaction. Once you give an injection...you can't retrieve it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Yes georgie it was pulled from the market for awhile because of dogs dying.

Laura

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

Raises hand foolishly.

Five years ago when I was not as savy as I am now, I gave it to Rhys. My then vet said it was some great new thing.

Three weeks later, he had an attack of acute pancreatitis and I always will wonder if it was that drug...

Kris L. Christine is offline Senior Member

A vet tech friend of mine here in Maine was part of the Proheart 6 settlement. Her healthy 5 year old golden retriever dropped dead 3 hours after getting Proheart 6.

What's especially scary to me is that Dr. Hampshire was a Safety Officer who was supposed to identify concerns with the drug and was persecuted when she did. It makes me wonder how many have been effectively silenced in the past.
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee
    The Rabies Challenge Fund
    www.RabiesChallengeFund.org