HELP US...just recived some bad news and now we are worried!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: HELP US...just recived some bad news and now we are worried!!

  1. #1
    Csully123 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    198

    DefaultHELP US...just recived some bad news and now we are worried!!

    So my wife just called and she found out that the sister of Denali that we were going to have a play date with has really bad hips...I guess his owners took her in to get fixed and when they did the x-rays they found it....I just made Denali a appt for his xrays....Should we be stressed he seems ok no problem running, sitting etc...can it only be one in one pup but not in the others?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    imported_bacatherine's Avatar
    imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,230

    DefaultRe: HELP US...just recived some bad news and now we are worried!!

    I am pretty sure it can be in just one pup and not others in the litter but I think it's a good idea to check them out and see. Hopefully she's in the clear.
    Also who diagnosed her sisters HD from what I've heard a regular vet can often misdiagnose if the x-rays were not done properly or just from lack of experience I would suggest they send them to a orthovet to have them reviewed.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

  4. #3
    Csully123 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    198

    DefaultRe: HELP US...just recived some bad news and now we are worried!!

    Yes just a regular vet....no that I have talked to a coworkers wife we are not as worried. We are going to wait till Denali is a year old and then have him completly checked by a specialist...I think there is something a little odd with this whole issue now that I have talked more with my wife....like why are the people getting a 5month old girl fixed and...also why didnt the vet tell them they should wait till after her frist heat? Iam a little skiptikall about this so we cancelled Denali's appt and are just going to wait and see.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Dani's Avatar
    Dani is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant, MI
    Posts
    6,676

    DefaultRe: HELP US...just recived some bad news and now we are worried!!

    They don't have to wait until after her first heat. They were fine spaying her now. But what was going on that they decided to check her hips? She's going through major growth and her hips will be quite lax (as well as Denali's) at this point. You can not be conclusive about anything, especially with a regular vet who didn't position her for x-rays. I'd take it with a grain of salt. And I wouldn't x-ray (even in the future) Denali unless he was showing symptoms.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

    Member Since 6/2003

  7. #5
    Csully123 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    198

    DefaultRe: HELP US...just recived some bad news and now we are worried!!

    Thanks Dani, yeah we are going to just take it with a grain of salt...this is second hand info but I guess when they were operating on her and then they did xrays. Like I said I was shocked at frist and could have screamed but after doing some reserch and speaking with a few folks here at work I think we will give our little fella a while before we get him check if we do at all. Could you give some examples of signs we should look for just in case?

  8. #6
    labby's Avatar
    labby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    *points to her right palm*
    Posts
    29,548

    DefaultRe: HELP US...just recived some bad news and now we are worried!!

    I answered your original post in LC.



    Laura





  9. #7
    Dani's Avatar
    Dani is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant, MI
    Posts
    6,676

    DefaultRe: HELP US...just recived some bad news and now we are worried!!

    A very swaying gait, bunny hopping while running, clicking when getting up. My Rider has mild HD in one hip that I discovered when he was 2.5 years old when in a conformation handling class. The person instucting (who is an AKC judge), said his gait looked off and that I should take him in for x-rays to be sure....sure enough, it's ever so mild, but it's there.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

    Member Since 6/2003

  10. #8
    nwlabs is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    837

    DefaultRe: HELP US...just recived some bad news and now we are worried!!

    I wouldn't go running and having xrays done unless your dog is having a problem. Many dogs are never xrayed in their lifetime to check their hips and they may or may not have HD. Some have HD and are never symptomatic. Take deep breath. These are living creatures and sometimes poop just happens.

  11. #9
    Csully123 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    198

    DefaultRe: HELP US...just recived some bad news and now we are worried!!

    So after the wife and I talked we are not going to do anything except continue to keep spoiling Denali ....like the little prince he is and just wait till there is actually symptons or any other issues...and the good news is that the owners of his sister are taking her to a specialist to get s 2nd opion thanks to my reccomendation ..inpart by all you wonderful lab lovers that gave me some great info. Thanks to all again

  12. #10
    nwlabs is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    837

    DefaultRe: HELP US...just recived some bad news and now we are worried!!

    Quote Originally Posted by csully
    So after the wife and I talked we are not going to do anything except continue to keep spoiling Denali ....like the little prince he is and just wait till there is actually symptons or any other issues...and the good news is that the owners of his sister are taking her to a specialist to get s 2nd opion thanks to my reccomendation ..inpart by all you wonderful lab lovers that gave me some great info. Thanks to all again
    That sounds like a very reasonable plan of action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25