Heart Clearances
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart Clearances

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultHeart Clearances

Are these becoming one of the MANDATORY clearances in our breed? When I got my first dog, it was hips/eyes (CERF), then it was hips/ELBOWS/eyes. Now by the time I got Grace ready for breeding, OPTIGEN is practically mandatory.

People do heart, thyroid, and who knows what else....is there a new manadatory minimum we should be striving for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Heart Clearances

My manditory minimum is Hips, Elbow, Heart, Eyes (CERF annually) and Opitgen, if not clear through parentage. That's what most breeders I know do as well.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

labby is offline Senior Member

Same as Nicole. Even though we don't know the mode of inheritance and that you can get a heart clearance and still pass it on, I won't breed to a dog that hasn't had a heart clearance. Plus there are some lines I will not double up on due to hearts.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I think it has become basically expected for stud dogs, and just recommended for bitches. And for stud dogs, I don't think I would want to breed to a dog who was only cleared through auscultation- *lots* can be missed that way. Personally-speaking, I will likely only go with a dog cleared through color doppler echo...well, whenever I end up getting bitch that I want to breed, that is.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I think it is really. It's been a strong recommendation for ~10 yrs now w/ our breed club. Our local club is bringing in a cardiologist every 3-4 years now in conjunction w/ our annual CERF clinic. To me, it's just added security as I also have a Lab ex-breeder/vet who knows what a bad heart sounds like. I've done 4 generations here so far, and will do my 5th as soon as we hold the next heart clinic.

I know this may be controversial, but I've added CNM to my list as well. A friend of mine recently tested their crew, and lo and behold, their male came back a carrier. For $67 or whatever it cost me, it's well worth it, esp if you've seen the video of the 5 month old affected that was circulating before.

I've dealt w/ PRA carriers, so that is a blessing to know we have that test too. When the EIC test is done, I'll do it too. My rationale is that if I can do all that is offered, and something still goes wrong, at least no one can say I didn't try!

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Dani is offline Senior Member

Of the known defects, why WOULDN'T you have that piece of mind? That was on my list of things should Rookie of turned out for the ring when it came time to do clearances.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

I think I have almost done all the clearances available. If its available, I wouldn't think of not doing it. Its just one other thing I can say that I did to assure that my future pups are sound.

Ruby was echo'd...I have the copy of the thing, just never mailed to OFA, for whatever reason.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    I think I have almost done all the clearances available. If its available, I wouldn't think of not doing it. Its just one other thing I can say that I did to assure that my future pups are sound.
    You sound just like me! I was the same way...I would rather know as much as I can when thinking about the future of the breed.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

As for the answer to the actual question. There really are no MANDATORY clearances. Its all about what you feel comfortable with. Various clubs have set up what is acceptable to them in their code of ethics, and I guess that would be the minimum.

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

I do Hips/Elbows/ACVO annually/Heart and I even just did Optigen on the two I have that are cleared by parentage. I did Rita's Heart clearance in March, but realized this weekend that I never sent it in to OFA, but just filed it. No biggie...having the original exam form is more important to me anyway and that is who I would be doing the breeding for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast