splenectomy?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: splenectomy?

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Defaultsplenectomy?

My beloved Caleb had to have an emergency splenectomy yesterday. Apparently a tumor about the size of a quarter on his spleen ruptured friday night. By Saturday morning he was in very rough shape...easily would have died if we'd waited out the weekend. Anyway...he's doing great and coming home tomorrow. (The tumor is being sent to pathology but it'll be a few days before we know about that...and I plan to enjoy them with Caleb!).

My question is...has anyone any experience with a dog that's had their spleen removed? What do I need to worry about?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kootenaydogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: splenectomy?

Yes, we had our black lab, Knight's, spleen removed when he was about 9 y.o. He had three very large spleen tumors which had not ruptured (yet) but they were causing him a lot of discomfort. He was so much happier once that lumpy spleen was out of his belly. We let him live out the life of an ordinary dog without any special treatment--other than home-cooking for him. Unfortunately, he did die of cancer about 6 months later.

A friend of mine who owns Belgian Tervurens, has an older female (about 10y.o.) who had to have her spleen removed as a relatively young dog. Tikka seems to be a healthy older gal and other than not getting any more routine vaccinations (on the advice of her vet), Tikka is living the life of a "normal" dog.
    Marianne
    Trip (LabX)
    Tasha (GSD)
    Sisko (Lab)

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

We had Tango's removed as an emergency when he was 10. His did turn out to be Hemangiosarcoma, unfortunately. When he came home from the surgery he was good. Had a shaved belly, obviously, but otherwise was himself. He lived another 2 months, which is typical with this cancer.

I pray to God that Calebs isn't bad. How old is he?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He's 11. I'm hoping it's not that too. You've scared me. Even if it was a hemangiosarcoma I was hoping for more time than that. There wasn't any noticeable metastasis and he'd never been sick a day until this happened. I guess that I can only hope for the best and enjoy him as much as I can. He's home now and won't let me out of his sight. Keep us in your thoughts. I love this dog so much!
    Thank You

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. When Tango had his removed, there was obvious metastasis to his liver already. You said Caleb didn't so that's a very good sign. Please keep us posted.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

labby is offline Senior Member

Last year when they found the tumor on Stevie's spleen, the vet had a dog that had its spleen removed 2 years prior. The dog was still going strong. Nobody can say for sure how much time your dog may have. It depends on too many things. Take as many pictures as you can now so you have them.

I lost Stevie the next day so I never got the chance. Life each day to the fullest while you can.

Laura

Thank you everybody! Both vets (his primary and his herbalist/nutritionist) have said the same thing. It's a horrible cancer to have but dogs with out apparent metastasis sometimes beat it. And in my fear I didn't even think about remembering to photograph everything. The picture below was taken two days before he hemorrhaged. I didn't know anything was wrong. But he shows his joy of life in this picture. It's not the best physical image of him but it sure shows his spirit.

By the way, he's doing great today...a little pissed that I wouldn't take him for a REAL walk this morning.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Auggie had her spleen removed Oct.'06, and was diagnosed with a generalized cancer of the liver - hepatocellular carcinoma. She is still, 20 months and counting, doing well, with a good quality of life considering her age, now 12yr5mo; but the liver cancer is catching up with her in subtle ways and will eventually win out - we just don't know when.

As I recall, Sandie's (use name: The Texas Tank) Tankie had his spleen removed over a year ago now, had a diagnosis of hemangiosarcoma, I think, and is still perking along.

I was told by the U of MN, where Auggie's surgery was done, that dogs do much better than people do after a splenectomy.

The fact that your surgeon said there was no noticeable metastasis, and that Caleb came through surgery fine and is home already sounds very encouraging.

So I too am hoping for good quality years ahead for Caleb and you.

Very Important P.S.
    I suggest NO more vaccinations/boosters of any kind from now on for Caleb. All vaccine package inserts say "For Healthy Dogs ONLY". The U of MN, and my local vet both gave me this advice, and I am following it. Auggie's immune system needs no further stress at her age and condition. I explained this to our township when getting her new dog license and they said, "no problem".
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

georgie is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts for Caleb.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Our Shadow had her spleen removed in April of 2007. She had a large mass on it that turned out to be benign, but the spleen itself was so enlarged that it was starting to split. We lost her four days after surgery, on April 22, due to shock. The surgery itself went fine. She went into shock twice after the surgery, and the vet said there was definitely something else going on that we were not aware of, possibly leukemia, because her white count was totally out of whack. Shadow would have been 5 the next month.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast